yellow tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nick540

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
I saw a small 2" yellow tang at my LFS that was in a tank about the same seize as mine 33gal. the guy said that the fish would not grow much bigger because of the small seize of the tank, is this true? Also i was wondering if i could keep this tang in my tank? I know generally the answer is NO but thought i would get some opinions i am also online researching.

Magpen

AC Members
May 18, 2004
Colorado Springs, CO
Visit site
No you should not keep a yellow tang in a tank smaller than a 75 gallon IMO. They grow to 8 inches. What the person told you is incorrect. They will continue to grow and not grow correctly. You will be stunting your fish and shortening it's life.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
There is always the potential, when you put a potentially large fish like a yellow tang, into a small tang that its growth will get stunted and it could get HLLE...Tank sizes for fish are there as a guide yes, but that guide is there for a reason..Local fish shops can get away with putting a a fish that will grow large into a small tank because they know they will sell it before it gets too big..and will more than likly tell you its fine to go into a small tank so they can sell it too you...

Niko

Nick540

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
Thanks for the info. I am NOT going to get the fish till i get a larger tank. I had a feeling he was just trying to sell it.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
its a common tactic that they use..the longer they are in the shop tank, the more money its costing them...so, they have to shift them some how...Glad your not buying it....

Niko

Nick540

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
I guess i will just have to get a bigger tank! Too bad that your tang has to go, will you get a bigger tank yourself to be able to keep him around?

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
A bigger tank is always a good thing!!

Dustin83

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Orange County, CA
I have to admit... It's the deadliest addiction... "Oh this fish gets to big for my tank? Then let's get a bigger tank!" You keep doing that once a year or so... and realize... "where did all my savings go?"

Nonetheless, I am starting a new 125 gallon to provide more room for my juvi yellow tang, Mario...

The vicious cycle continues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store