Removing salt/scale from aquarium glass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caribou-lou

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
suburbs of Detroit
Visit site
What is the easiest way to remove old crusty salt/scale stains from aquarium glass.

I picked up a 180 gallon tank that had been left empty for 4 years, without cleaning off the glass.

It now has salt/scale all over the inside of the aquarium glass.

I was told vinegar would work. I tried it and it did remove much of it, but there is still a hazy type of salt/scale stain left. Looks like a smudge, just doesn't have that clear look.

Should I just turn the aquarium on each of its sides and let each side soak in vinegar for a couple of hours?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Oxyclean it! I used this on a BW 55 I picked up. It works wonders. Fill the tank with hot water, add the oxyclean, let it soak for an hour, rinse. Easy.

caribou-lou

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
suburbs of Detroit
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Used the blade idea with a ton of vinegar to cut down on most of the grime.

I never thought of Oxyclean.

My wife has a big tub of it.

I'll give it a whirl on my glass tops.

caribou-lou

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
suburbs of Detroit
Visit site
I used the Oxyclean and it worked great.

Took off all of the grime and salty haze.

Rinsed them off real well and soaked them in a lot of water.

The tank looks fabulous.

caribou-lou

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
suburbs of Detroit
Visit site
Sorry. No pics.

My wife and I purchased a digital camera about 2 weeks ago, and after we got home she told me she would rather buy a film camera.

Luckily, I hadn't opened the package otherwise we would have been charged that ridiculous restocking fee. Funny thing is, when I took it back to the store, they opened it up to make sure everything was still inside.

Go figure. A sealed package is returned and they open it, which I'm not allowed to do, to check out the contents.

Back to the tank. Like I said no pictures. Still sitting in my basement waiting for the new house we are going to purchase soon. I actually posted an add to sell the aquarium in the classified section of AC, but no bites.

Still for sale if anybody is interested. 180g for $180. Comes with the glass tops. Older style tank with no center brace. Called LFS & was told $31 for new top frame with center brace which included shipping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store