What fertilizer should i use on my plants???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Blue goldfish

AC Members
Sep 15, 2002
TN
I'm about to get a 50gal long tank. I want to have live plants in it, lighting is not a problem since i'm gonna have to make a hood anyways. How many watts per gal do i need?? It's not very deep like 10in to a foot. But like you go to Petsmart or something and they have fertilizers for aquatic plants. Which one do u recommend????

This is totally new to me, and all. So if you start talking about K=yo7 compound with Laonion mixed in i'm gonna get confused. :confused: :) :D :) :D :) :D
Thanks for any advice and opinions on different brands are welcome. ^_^

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
I think if it's a 55 gallon/50 gallon 4ft long tank you can make your own lighting system from Homer Depot for about 40$. They sell electronic ballast etc, I'd definitely get one of those, you can use a shop light and remove the ballast(or just leave it in). Another option is using the powercompact outdoor spot lights(3x 65 w) that will run about 20-35$ ea.
There are other combo's you can come up with. If you are not that good with wiring etc, the A&H set up is easy/nice and the shop light is easy also.

More light is not neccesarily better.
As mentioned, A&H is a good place if you want a nicer DIY project and have more $ to spend.

As far as Petco/Petsmart, I believe they should be carrying SeaChem flourish and Flourish Potassium. But you can get things much cheaper on line and if you buy a 2 liter jug, that will last quite some time. Leaf zone
may also be available there.

As far as other nutrients/jargon.....well I stray:)

The "how" in growing plants is not particularly difficult. They need 3 things to grow , light, CO2 and nutrients.

Light is easy.
CO2 confuses folks somethimes.
Nutrients consist basically of only 4 things that you can add just like fish food.
Example, add 1/4 teaspoon of stump remover twice a week for a 20 gallon tank. No chemistry/jargon required.

You are already adding traces and there are only 3 other things you might need to add.

The idea is to make these things CHEAP. You can get everything at Home Depot or the drug store for about 15$.

Sulfur of potash-garden center-about 5$ for a 10lb lifetime supply.
Stump remover-about 4-6$ a pound, look for Grant's or Cooke's brand.
Fleet enema-at the drug store-mostly, don't worry it'll last a long time also-cost a few bucks.

Instead of feeding your fish brine and flake, you are feeding your plants 4 things etc. It does not have to be any more complicated than that except for the pruning and removal and sale of extra plants.

But don't add all that light without getting the other parts together (CO2 and nutrients).
You need all three, not just light etc.
You'll very likely have a poor experience if you ignore the other 2. You should not ignore one part because you don't like it or it confuses you. You don't have to make it complicated or discuss it at length, just add it regularly and keep up on it is all. That's all I did a long time ago. I started asking "why" later.....

Regards,
Tom Barr

Blue goldfish

AC Members
Sep 15, 2002
TN
I know that i need more than lighting to keep plants healthy and lovely. I forgot the watts/gal and decided to go ahead and ask that as well. I'm not trying to skimp on anything plantbrain

But don't add all that light without getting the other parts together (CO2 and nutrients).
I've already had experience with CO2 and it's no bigge once you get the hang for it. It's the nutrients part that gets me confused.:) I read forums and u talk about all these weird things and i'm like "what the heck??!!" So i just decided to ask what kind of fertilizer you could buy would do the trick. Thanks alot for the info. And yes the tank is roughly 50/55gal and is about 4 foot. Which reminds me i may hafta get a bigger stand.....:D.
Thanks again.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store