Emaciated Platy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jbwaechter

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
I've got an established 55G community tank, water conditions appear excellent (Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0, pH 7.8) I perform regular 30% water changes every 2 weeks.
I've got about 20 fish, all under 2 inches. Mostly platties, a few zebra danios, 2 female bettas.
1 red wag platy (male) is looking terribly thin - emaciated. He has been hiding near the bottom, then struggling to get to the top. Almost too weak to swim against the modest filter currents (all other fish look healthy, easily swim through minimal currents.)
He is trying to eat - appetite seems normal, but he can barely get to the food before it is gone. Externally, no spots, wounds, fins look normal.
Questions: Is it too late to save him? He's been my wife's favorite fish. If medicine might help him, what kind? I don't want to treat the whole tank, but my quarantine tank is currently occupied with new 3 ottos.
I've got him in a breeder cage to shield him from currents and to give him a shot at food. I'm suspecting an internal parasite. Thoughts?
I don't overfeed. I feed flakes and about twice a week tubifex cubes.
Thanks for any help - this seems to have come on quickly, and I doubt he will make it more than a day or two.

Last edited by a moderator:

FishorFoe

AC Members
Apr 7, 2007
Are his gills bigger than his body? If so, that is just the way old fish pass away.

jbwaechter

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Yes. He is thin on the rear 2/3 of his body. Gills look normal, maybe a little thin. We've had him for about 4 months. I wouldn't have expected him to be that old from the LFS.

smbjedi

May the fish be with you.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
does his tail look "boxed"? my mollies and playts look the way you describe when they get old and are bout to die. who knows how old he is, could have been at the breeders for a while then to the distributer and then to the pet store. he could be almost two! :confused:

jbwaechter

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Plastic plants, gravel substrate about 1 inch. Several rock hiding places.

Not sure how to answer the "boxed" question - don't know what that means.

jbwaechter

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Made a quick trip to LFS, described the situation. They were more concerned about stress than anything else. This fish was bullied by a larger male platy, but the larger male was removed weeks ago. I noticed an improvement almost immediately. Ratio of males/females now: 2/10. Until this week, the sick platy had been actively pursuing various females. LFS suggested no meds, and let things take their course.

jbwaechter

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
His tail may be more boxed than fanned, but it has always looked like this. All other platties do have more pronounced fan tails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store