C02/fish problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

04cobratorchred

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
I just started my first C02 tank. The water has been in the tank for around a month and i just turned the C02 on 6 days ago. Well yesterday was the first day i tried to put some fish in there and about a minute after doing so all 6 angels were belly up I hurried up and put them back in there non c02 tank and they were fine again. So then today I put two angels in a 5-gallon bucket and put ¾ non-c02 tank water and ¼ c02 water and then after an hr I did ½ c02 and half non-c02 then after another hr I did ¾ c02 and ¼ tank water then I final put them back in the co2 tank and they started to do the same thing just not as bad they are just at the top sucking air. So my question is how can I get them acclimated to the c02 tank. It’s a 90-gallon aquarium. Thanks for any help.

c02.JPG

Ketso

Cityfied Redneck
Jan 26, 2007
Peebles, Ohio
Are you sure that the Co2 is the only difference from one tank to the other?

I only ask because in the photo it looks like you might be using pea gravel for substrate. Hard to tell from that pic for me really. I used pea gravel for a short time until I noticed the kH of my tank water shot through the roof.

A full battery of tests on both tanks, if you havent already, would be in order, I would think.

04cobratorchred

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
Are you sure that the Co2 is the only difference from one tank to the other?

I only ask because in the photo it looks like you might be using pea gravel for substrate. Hard to tell from that pic for me really. I used pea gravel for a short time until I noticed the kH of my tank water shot through the roof.

A full battery of tests on both tanks, if you havent already, would be in order, I would think.

Yes the tanks are the same except the c02. i even have the same substrate its not gravel its a really light substrate it got it from lesco. i have had it in other tanks for over a year now.

quadpants

AC Members
Jun 9, 2006
CO2 and oxygen are not related at all but too much CO2 can prevent fish from being able to respire correctly causing them to gasp at the surface. If it was overnight then it could have been oxygen but not in this case.

Get or make a CO2 drop checker which will tell you your CO2 levels. You could also leave some tank water out for a day and measure the pH difference between that and the tank to measure your levels. Your target is 30 ppm and I suspect your are much higher than that if within 5 minutes your fish were gasping.

I would also try to acclimate them slowly by dripping or turning off your CO2 for a day and then gradually turning it back on over a few hours so it isn't a huge change.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I suspect CO2 levels to be the issue..but a full battery of tests couldn't hurt.

all things being the same and CO2 the only difference..then check the CO2 levels.

I use chucks planted aquarium table as a guide..even 30 ppm may be high for some fish..my angels and discus seem to do better with a bit less

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store