ghost shrimp or amano shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captaincrampton

AC Members
Apr 8, 2007
Pennsylvania
I have a 10gal tank that is cycling. I am planning to stock it with:
3 longfin zebra danios
2 otos
1 neon blue dwarf gourami

I wanted to get a shrimp or two to put in there but I wasn't sure what type I should get. Would amano shrimp or ghost shrimp be better for my tank? or would no shrimp be better for my tank. Any suggestions would be great.

Mar 29, 2007
if your gonna have otos dont get amano, get ghost, with 2 otos already there will be a lot of competition over algae.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
danios need larger schools than 3, you're looking at 5 at least, meaining it'll be either the dwarf gourami or the danios. instead of otos I would get dwarf cories for the bottom. overall i'd reccomend skipping the dainos and getting A DG and some dwarf cories.

why not get both types of shrimp? that way you have the services of both. your tank could easily hold 10 shrimp even when stocked with fish.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
could i get replace the otos w/ shrimp and keep the gourami and the danios or would that not work?
the danios may stress the dwarf gourami with their super activeness.

captaincrampton

AC Members
Apr 8, 2007
Pennsylvania
oh. are there any centerpiece fish that you would suggest for super active danios? I already have a couple of danios(cycling my tank, unfortunately i read about fishless cycling too late, but i have been doing daily water changes) so i want to keep the danios.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
oh. are there any centerpiece fish that you would suggest for super active danios? I already have a couple of danios(cycling my tank, unfortunately i read about fishless cycling too late, but i have been doing daily water changes) so i want to keep the danios.
i'd probably just keep the danios only. they will need all the room they can get, and most centerpeice fish are slow compared to the danios. like I said you can try dwarf cories.

Mar 29, 2007
how about neon tetras with the gourami, there active but not as active as the danios. I wouldnt do dwarf cories in a tank this size, it is possible but me personally, wouldnt do it.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
how about neon tetras with the gourami, there active but not as active as the danios. I wouldnt do dwarf cories in a tank this size, it is possible but me personally, wouldnt do it.
why not? they are perfect for 10Gs in groups of 7-8.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store