Blue Rams Fighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MClauw24

AC Members
Jun 6, 2006
Today i purchased two new german blue rams. They are are still very young, only about an inch long, mouth to end of tail fin. I added them to my community tank which currently houses two older adult german blue rams. The other occupants are a mixture of neons, glolites, corys, and danios. The problem is since i added the young ones, the two older ones are now doing there little fighing dance and one is chasing the other all over the tank. After about an hour, one of the younger rams is now following the more aggressive of the older rams, as if they are father and son. Even the younger one is chasing around the other adult ram and other young ram. I also recently raised my water temperature from 76 -78 to 80 - 82. Why would the sudden additon of two new baby rams cause the two older ones to start being aggresive towards each other? Is this normal? Appreciate any help.

Mar 29, 2007
could just be a coincidence?

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
how big is the tank - they're cichlids = territorial. Try re-arranging your decor. Kinda confuses them. Focuses them on re-establishing territory rather than defending what they think is theirs already.

I recently added some fish to my tank and the guys who were in the longest were the most aggressive to the new arrivals. Restructuring really calmed everything down.

Cathy G

Bolivians Rock
Jan 15, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.cathygeier.com
Does the younger ram which is following the older more aggressive ram around have a pink tummy? If so, you have a pair starting up.

With that many rams, I hope you have a 48 inch foot print in that tank...
Cathy

MClauw24

AC Members
Jun 6, 2006
I have a standard 55 Gallon tank. I might try some restructuring today after work. Both of the young ones have pink stomaches. I think its still to early to tell though about the pair. All the rams in the store have pink stomaches, at least 30 of them. They seem more settled this morning.

MClauw24

AC Members
Jun 6, 2006
Well they have the pink stomachs, but what shade of pink i guess i can't really compare. Young male rams don't have any pink near there stomach?

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
Young male rams don't have any pink near there stomach?
No, they haven't. If both your old rams are big and don't show any pink, they are both males. Females stay comparably small.

Looks as if you had two pairs in your tank now :).

MClauw24

AC Members
Jun 6, 2006
Here is a couple pictures of my two new blue rams. You can definately see the pink stomach, even though the pics are blurry.

Fish Tank-4.jpg Fish Tank-1.jpg Fish Tank-2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store