need help, crushed coral and decor turning strange color.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vegas mma

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
hey guys this is my first post here.
first my question, then background on the tank.
i have a piece of white coral and crushed coral as substrate.
having read some threads here and google searches i've decided to get rid of the crushed coral, but until then.
my coral is turning a weird color. i noticed it a couple days ago only on the large piece of coral. i took it out and rinsed it under my tap. the "color" came off as soon as the water touched it.
today i wake up and my crushed coral is turning the color and my coral piece is that color again.
i tested my water 2 days ago, right after i first noticed it on the coral piece.
my results were
ph = 8.2
ammonia = 0.8 mg/L
nitrate = 0 mg/L
nitrite = 0.2 mg/L
alkalinity = 3.0mEq/L
these tests were done with the instant ocean test kit.
i did a water change 3 days before i noticed the color (5 days ago)

tank back ground:
the tank is 20gal
it was set up 3/27/07, on the 30th i bought fish. i had 6 damsels in the tank, i listened to a guy that thought he knew about tanks. now i have 3 damsels left cause the others attacked them.
now i know that 6 was way too many fish.

so any help would be great. i'm really thinking about putting the fish in some containers and starting over with sand, but i really want to figure out why my coral is changing colors before starting over.

here are pics of the coral piece, the crushed coral pics didn't come out good.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
just algae no need to worry part of the cycle, and new tanks after the cycle.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
No that's not what I said, but once your tank is established with a good cleaner crew and has coraline algae you won't have enough to notice.

Algae also has a lot to do with water quality and the amount of time and effort you put into a tank.

vegas mma

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
i'm sorry i thought you meant only a problem on new tanks.

my tank is only 20gallons what kind of cleaner crew?

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
I would start with 6 hermits and 4 snails of different types, then add as needed, if you don't have enough of something that type of algae will grow more, but if you have to many they will not get enough food nd will die.

DarthFred6996

AC Members
Mar 13, 2007
I would buy some live rock before I bought a cleaning crew. It may be costly at first but you really will be much happier in the long run when you have a healthier tank for your animals.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
I think this tank is being set up as FO, not FOWLR, if I am wrong then by all means GET ROCK!!! If not get a crew and make sure you have your skimmer tuned in and good filtration.

DarthFred6996

AC Members
Mar 13, 2007
IMO there should be no marine tanks without live rock. Otherwise you are not trying to give your fish the best environment they can have. You are responsible for making them happy and in turn you should become happy, not the other way around.

Think of it like you are building a house. You would not leave out the HVAC or plumbing just because it is less expensive. It also takes time to build a house that can be lived in comfortably for a human, why do we think it should be any different for a fish?

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
That is a personal opinion, I know lots of people who run Fo tanks with lots of dead coral peices and have pristine water, so the fish are in good conditions, have places to hide/make territory and are well taken care of, so why would they not be happy???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store