ADF and Heater Danger?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Trina

AC Members
Mar 20, 2007
Hi,

I originally posted this in Newbie Freshwater, but I thought I'd post here too for aquatic frog people to see. Hope I'm not over stepping my bounds. I love my frogs dearly and need some help. Here's the original post:

I bought a Visi Therm Stealth heater to heat my 5 gallon hex tank. My apartment temp fluctuates between 72-80 depending on the time of the day. A couple of people recommended that I get a heater and keep it on 80 to help my slow-w-w-w-w-w-w-w cycling process perhaps speed up a bit. My concern right now is not the cycling process, but the fact that the minute I plugged in the heater my 2 ADF seemed fatally attracted to it. The both sat under it and one of them swam up and stuck his body between the glass and the heater when I turned my back for a few minutes. I had to stick my hand in the tank to get him to move (he wasn't stuck, he just wouldn't move). I caught him doing it again and again. I turned the heater off.

I'm afraid that the heater is dangerous to my poor sweet, adorable, but dumb frogs. Does anyone have any ideas/comments? I think I may have to take the heater back. If faced with the slow cycling process b/c of heat fluctuations or cooked froggies, I'll go with slow cycling.

More info:

The heater is covered in what the manufacturer calls "shatter proof thermal plastic casing".

http://www.marineland.com/products/a...rm_stealth.asp

Here's a pic:

The heater does get warm b/c I touched the bottom of it last night to check it. I have it plugged into a bucket of water now and it is hot to the touch. I can keep my hand on it for maybe 20 seconds before it gets uncomfortably hot.

Any help from "frog people" would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
I personally would not worry about it. It has a casing over it and if they are under it, that is fine. I would worry if they would lay on it for hours but I do not think this is case. As long as you have plenty of water movement in your tank your ADF's should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store