switching from crushed coral to live sand/live rock, please help ASAP...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vegas mma

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
right now i have a 20 gallon tank set up.
it is cycling right now, but i really want to start over with live sand and live rock.

my question is how do i go about putting it in.
i was going to drain the tank, throw my 3 damsels in a tub, add the live sand and live rock then fill the tank with new water, after a few hours i was going to put the fish back in.
would it be better to use some base rock or "dead" rock?

would there be a problem with this, is there a right way to do it?

please help,
i was going to do this today.

-michael

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
There are a few different ways, yours would be fine, some like to rinse the sand (do this no matter which way you go) then scoop it into a large peice of PVC and allow it to slide down, that way there is less floating in the water, not sure how well this works but I have heard of it, or gut taking out the CC and tossing in the sand (after rinseing).

For a 20 gal I would not suggest base rock, if you where in a 75+ gal tank then OK but the filtration the LR will give you is invaluable in a tank this size!!

vegas mma

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
can i throw the live rock in then put the fish in?
i thought i read something saying that you can't put the liverock straight in if you have fish in the tank.

my fish will be on the floor in a bucket, but can i rinse the live rock then put it in. then a few hours later put the fish in?

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
You have to rinse the sand with RO water?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
yes, you do need to rinse the sand in RO water..If you use tap water to wash it, you are going to be introducing potential phosphates and nitrates into the sand, which are then going to be held in the sand as you put it in the tank...to me, that would be starting off on the wrong foot..

Just an opinion

Niko

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Yes after your sand put in the LR and fish (make sure the LR is cured completly) also keep any filtration you now have in place for a week or so untill your LR and sand can handle the bio load.

vegas mma

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
instead of ro water can i use distilled water from the store?
i don't have access to ro water right now.

vegas mma

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
how do i cure the live rock? or do i just throw it in the tank with the fish?
i'm really lost on this.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
if the tank is up and running with fish, i would put it in a rubber maid container, give it some water movement with a powerhead and a heater....do a 10% water change every week...keep checking ammonia, nitrite and nitrate every 3 or 4 day...depends on how the rock is when you buy it as to how long the process takes...

Niko

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
instead of ro water can i use distilled water from the store?
i don't have access to ro water right now.
If that's your only option then yes it's better than tap water but I'd check it first for NitrAtes, phosphates etc as you don't want to put them in your tank (like I did!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store