rose anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

underthesea

Registered Member
May 9, 2003
texas
Visit site
rose anemone

My tank has been up and running for about 2 months without a problem. Last week I purchased a beautiful rose anemone and it did fine for the week. Suddenly, it started to hide and now is a pile of squishy mush.

Any ideas would be welcome.
The other residents don't seem to be in any trouble.
I have 2 clown fish, a coral beauty, a scooter, 2 pink squares and a sand sifter starfish.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Can you define "pile of squishy mush" a little more? It is possible the anemone has withdrawn into itself.

underthesea

Registered Member
May 9, 2003
texas
Visit site
The anemone is flat with no ability to hold onto the live rock
all the pods are flat and when I touched it, it was slimy with gray material in the orifice.
Last week it was a beautiful sight, fully extended for most of the day and then retreating at night. At one point it was the size of a small lunch plate when opened.
There doesn't appear to be any life at all.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Tank specs? Acclimation process?

Anemones don't belong in newly setup tanks. I don't think they belong an many mature tanks either, as the survival rate is very poor.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
It sounds like it has died and is rotting which is/will be destroying your water quality. I would move it to another tank if you have the option or you might want to throw it out. It sounds like a gonner. Does it smell? Anemones smell HORRIBLE when they die. Swear it is one of the worst smells ever!

underthesea

Registered Member
May 9, 2003
texas
Visit site
rose is gone

You're absolutely right about the smell....horrible ...but rose is now gone. My tank is 46 gallon bow front and I use a Fluvial 304 filter and a Red Sea protien skimmer, and one small power pump. The Ph in the tank was low 7.8 and the clowns didn't play in the anemone so it was stressed from not eating and the low PH.
On the other hand the feather duster that came as a "freebie" on hidden in my live rock is just fine!
As a newbie it's a "pricey" learning curve!
Thanks for all the input...I'll let the tank mature before I try again.

Corax

Temporarily risen from the dead..
Nov 14, 2001
Oriongirl was correct in that your tank was far from ready to handle an anemone. Typically a mature sw tank is one that has been up, running and stable for over a year.

As for this:
"the clowns didn't play in the anemone so it was stressed from not eating"

That would not harm the anemone as clowns don't actually feed them. Some clowns (such as a Maroon) will stash their food in the anemone, which it just happens to eat. But they will also stash their food in a feather duster, a piece of liverock or jsut about any hiding place they find. To further dispell this myth, I observe my very own Tomao clowns REMOVING food from my anemone everytime I feed it. I give it a pile of silversides and my larger Tomato will remove every morsel of the food it can drag away. It doesn't eat it, just pulls it out, swims about a foot and lets go of it.

What kind of lighting do you have in your tank? Did you feed the rose directly at all? Was it ever exposed to air?

If you are bound and determined to have an anemone at this time, then I suggest a Condy. They are inexpensive, hardy, require less light and are quite colorful. You will learn how to care for an anemone without risking so much $..

Sorry for your loss..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store