Dipping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

skip_16157

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Beaver Falls, PA
yahoo.com
What are fresh water dips or saltwater dips? How do you perform these, what is required and can you just use a small tank and take some of your tank water and put it in there or do you have to have a special tank that is been up and running. Do you net your fish and then put them into the tank. What is the chemical called.

I ask this question because I seen a post that said to dip your fish if they have ick. I think my two Percula's do. They have whit spots on them and I just noticed them recently.

All help is much appreciated!

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
Freshwater dips can be very helpful for things like velvet and ich. You can use a bucket or spare tank for freshwater dips. Fill it up with dechlorinated water and match the pH and temp as well as you can. Then you can net the sick fish and place it in the freshwater for a few minutes. The amount of time depends on who you talk to - some says 2 minutes, some say 20 minutes. I'd start at the lower end like 2-3 minutes. You can repeat this procedure every 24 hrs for a few days. When the fish is in the freshwater, keep a very close eye on them. If they appear really stressed, you should remove them. If a fish is already in really bad shape, the shock of the freshwater dip can do more harm than good.

Hope that helps!

WAR EAGLE

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
Visit site
It doesn't take long. I dip my research animals everytime they are weighed as a precautionary/prevention measure. Make sure you you de-chlorinate the water. It is helpful to have the water temp close to that of the tank. Just net the fish and hold him in the net while you place him in the dip. It also helps to agitate the fish (shake the net a little) so the fish will gill. Otherwise the fish will just shut down, and any parasites that may be on the gills will not get flushed off. 30 seconds or so is all it takes. Keep in mind, if you have a major infestation, a dip alone isn't going to do any good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store