Germanman's Reef Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Germanman

My fish are my babies
well i finally started an official reef log...figured i should anyway. so just a little background on the reef. it started out in a 29 gallon tank, where i keep sea horses as well, they did fine for well over a year but one, the female, died when my sea apple released its poison one night killing half my other fish. after that i got rid of the apple and the reef continued to thrive. Since then i have upgraded to metal halide and a 55 gallon aquarium and am now moving coral frags to my 20 gallon from the reef. the other sea horse died just a few months ago, after doing great and growing in the reef setting for over 2 years, he got his tail nicked and got a rapid fungal infection. despite the quick treatment in a hospital tank he ended up dieing. Besides that the reef is doing great and my cleaner wrasse and sea pen have been doing great for months now both growing in size. my newest addition is the feather star which has been doing good so far and eating as well. anyway here are some pics starting with the old 29 gallon.

tank 048.jpg tank 049.jpg hoodpics 001.jpg hoodpics 006.jpg hoodpics 009.jpg tank2 (3).jpg tank2 (36).jpg tanks3 008.jpg

Last edited:

Germanman

My fish are my babies
here are the tank specs and some more current photos
55 gallon Reef Tank
Equipt.-
Filtration: Fluval 405 with surface skimmer and turbo twist 9w UV sterilizer, Ecosystems PRO 40 Refugum w/skimmer run by rio 800,
via aqua 180 with spray bar, 2 via aqua 40s blowing water behind rock wall and a Maxijet 1200 as a cross flow to the Fluval.
In Fluval:live rock(3 tray spaces), Renew(2 spaces), Black Diamond Carbon(one space), phospure(one space), and chemipure(1 space).
Lighting: retrofit dual 40wt Power compacts(one actinic, one 50/50), 175 watt metal halide and 24 hour lighting system with built in LED moon light,and cooling fans.
Other: 200wt Titanium heater with external heat control and digital thermometer,pinpoint wireless thermometer(reads both tanks at top and bottom levels)pinpoint digital ph monitor,titanium aquarium ground probe.
85 lbs live rock, most from a ten year old system, as well as 45lbs of live sand from same system
Added elements:Kent; coral accel, coral vite,Tech-I, Essential elements, Tech-CB buffer system,marine-c, magnesium, strontium, iron. Weiss; reef vital DNA, ComboVital, marine fish vital, coral vital, coral vital LSB.
Food:
Fish; mysis, brine, bloodworms, algae(green,red,brown), spirulina brine, squid, ocean plankton, silversides, whole krill. enriched with Kent garlic-Xtreme, zoe marine , and Selcon.
Corals; phytoplex, phytoplan, microvert, chromoplex, zooplex, Dt's live phytoplankton,Coral plankton, and marine snow.

Fish: Tomato clown, red firefish, yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, bangai cardinal, , Mandarin fish, scooter dragonet, flame angel, sixline wrasse, tail spot blenny(soon to be added), cleaner wrasse, Court Jester Goby, 2 Black reidi seahorses(soon to be replaced), baby blue tang, baby purple tang(tangs get along and are being monitored in size and will be moved to existing 350 gallon when they get to big).

Inverts: cleaner shrimp,~8hermits, 2 turbo snails, 3 margareta snails, 5 trochous snails, electric flame scallop, 4 Hawiian dusters, colored dusters, thorny oyster, Christmas tree worms, yellow cucumber, 5" and 3"super grade corcea clam, orange lanka star, orange ear sponge, Green feeather star, and an emerald crab.

Corals:Green bulb anenome, galaxia coral, pulsing xenia, pompom xenia, Xenia elongata, var. mushrooms, Alviapora, orange sea fan, green star polyps, snake polyps, Kenya tree leather, red open brain, moon coral, frogspawn, trumpet coral, 2 toadstools(scarcophyton), encrusting gorgorian, orange carnation coral, Sea Pen Cavernularia sp, chili cactus coral, button zoos, and colored zoos and various other polyps.

anyway i will update when new stuff happens and if ya want more detail check out my blog in my sig!

tanks7 002.jpg tanks7 003.jpg tanks7 044.jpg tanks7 049.jpg tanks7 058.jpg tanks7 061.jpg

Last edited:

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
great set-up ! thanks for all the info; very informative.

Your fish look fantastic

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Looks good!!!

DrzFishFan

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
!!!!!New Haven!!!!!
German i love your starfish and the tang its obsolutely beautiful congrats........

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looking good, g-man!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store