Did she kill my fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

deedee58

AC Members
Feb 6, 2007
Tewksbury, MA
I went to the LFS to pick up some water and a few more fish. I selected some Red Phantom Tetras to go in my tank. I watched the girl catch the fish. She used one net, chased the fish around the tank like mad, and then picked the fish out of the net with her fingers. This is the second batch of fish she has netted for me and I have lost one fish from each. Water params are good, all else is well. Is this girl killing my fish? Sounds like a stressful way to to things.

Dee Dee

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Could be I guess...How have you been acclimating them and what are the good params ? (Just to exclude some potential other explanations)

12 Volt Man

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Ontario Canada
yes, she is stressing your fish.

the correct way is to scoop up from underneath the fish with the net, and do not chase them around to death.

once in the net, the best way is to gently cup the net with your hand, cradling and supporting the the fish in the net as you bring it out of the water.

then turn your hand upside down over the bag and gently let the fish fall into the water. Opening your hand as you do this helps to cause the fish to gently fall into the open bag.

note: this does NOT work for venemous fish LOL

deedee58

AC Members
Feb 6, 2007
Tewksbury, MA
Could be I guess...How have you been acclimating them and what are the good params ? (Just to exclude some potential other explanations)
The params are fine: Ammonia 0, NitrIte 0, NitrAte 5, PH 7.4, temp 78. Weekly water changes and no overfeeding. I have watched others in the same store using 2 nets to "herd" the fish and never use their hands except to support the bottom of the net. Sounds to me like they need to do some on the job training. She will never touch another of my fish again.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Taking a fish out of the net with the fingers=bad. Someone in her store that trained her(if they even did that) needs to show her the proper way to net a fish.

Marinemom

kmail5776

SR20 Powered
Nov 28, 2005
generally, you don't want to touch the fish. Improper handling will wipe off the mucus from the fish, possibly leading to secondary infection. That's why you should handle the fish with the net. Yeah, the girl is killing your fish.

Kyohti

Curiouser and Curiouser...
Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
Seriously, I'd go back and ask to speak to management on her behalf. Explain the situation, the fact that those fish's deaths were in no way your fault because you're doing things right on your end (and provide proof if you have to of this) and then tell him why she shouldn't be picking them up or touching them at all. Don't ask the management to reprimand. Be specific about that. Tell them she should be taught how to properly catch and release fish to alleviate as much of their stress as possible.

Maybe they will listen... maybe they won't. At the very least they will hopefully never ask her to assist you again. Sounds like the other workers do a better job anyway.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
As Kyohti states, it is definitely a pro-active step on your part to politely speak with the store manager in a respectful way. Think of the others you could be helping.

Mar 29, 2007
yeah that is stressful, how about maybe try to get a stone fish or lion fish from her and watch her try, but then i dont know what your gonna do with that fish.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store