Black Moor with recurrent Inch

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

minky1965

AC Members
Apr 17, 2007
Hi,
My black moor has recurrent inch, it never really clears up completely and keeps coming back. The fish is about 9 years old, my red cap oreaders and fantail do not seem to be affected.

I have tried using Interpet Anti White Spot Plus and TetraFin Goldmed, which both contain Formaldehyde.

I have a Juwel 120 litre tank with biological filters.

Any suggestions? :help:

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Have you been following through with the med as the prescribed dosage indicates, even after the symptoms go away? In other words, if the bottle says treat 1 tspn per 10 gallons for 7 days, do you use for 3 days, see the ich is gone and stop using?

What size of a tank are they in? Is it planted? What is your water maintenance schedule like?

minky1965

AC Members
Apr 17, 2007
Hi,
I have completed thetreatment each time and changed the water between treatments. There are no plants in my tank. As the tank has a biological filter the water is not usually changed. You replace the carbon & nitrate filters etc within specfiied timescales. Could it be a fungal infection?

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Hi,
I have completed thetreatment each time and changed the water between treatments. There are no plants in my tank. As the tank has a biological filter the water is not usually changed. You replace the carbon & nitrate filters etc within specfiied timescales. Could it be a fungal infection?
The water should be changed weekly depending on the size of the tank holding 3 goldfish.

Ich and fungus infections differ in sight, the ich is a salty appearance where as the fungus is larger spotted and maybe not consistent in the way they look. Do you have a pic of the problem fish?

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
you should do regular water changes. the instructions that came with the tank might not have mentioned it, as they're usually not very fishkeeping-savvy.

water changes are important because they remove ammonia - i.e. fish urine - that builds up, especially with goldfish since they're such massive waste producers. the carbon will help with this, but not nearly as much as water changes. not changing water probably made your goldfish especially susceptible to illness. i change about 50% of the water in my 60 gallon goldfish tank about once every week and a half.

that illness is, as dangerdoll said, definitely not ich. it looks like more of a fungal infection. sometimes, fungus can be cleared up simply by VERY SLOWLY heating the tank to 80 degrees and adding aquarium salt (not iodized table salt). the salt and heat boost your fish's immune system and sometimes - sometimes - that alone will cure the fish. first it's important to properly diagnose the illness, though. then we can think about treatment.

however, with any treatment, heat will help along the healing process. good luck. keep us updated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store