20g Long

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kerrid

AC Members
Mar 10, 2007
Boston
i went to the store to get a stand for my current 20g and i ended up buying another 20g long tank :rolleyes:
i wanted to do something besides fish but i have absolutely no experience with anything else. what creatures would be able to fit happily in a 20g long? half land, half water or all land. i'm up for anything new and exciting :)

momar

Born too late
Jan 6, 2006
UK
All sorts. Firebelly toads, most salamanders, horned frogs, a pyxie frog, most small ground-dwelling lizards, small snakes...

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
You could get two leopard geckos, I always recommend them, I love mine.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
I agree Leopard geckos are great but not for a half water setup.
Now if you want a plain desert setup, go with leos. If you still want the 50/50. There are various newts, salamanders, frogs or Most amphibians would work very well. Careful on mixing your herps though. You should always consider your herp tanks as a species only. Do to the fact of aggression and smaller animals becoming prey.
Or you can split it up. IF you do a search for EMG, you should be able to find posts of her Poison dart frog setups. She split hers up to have 2 frogs per tank.

Or you can get some ideas from the newt thread. Probably the most information thread on Newts and Amphibians this site has ever seen.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50139&highlight=Newts

But before you buy ANY herp, do your research, buy books and read as much as you can. Make sure there are no surprises at first. Treat this like you would fish and find as much as you can and you will have an enjoyable setup.

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
I agree Leopard geckos are great but not for a half water setup.
Now if you want a plain desert setup, go with leos.
Just want to say, leos aren't 'desert' technically. They are in that area, but more of a rocky terrain, not desert like sand. Just thought I'd put that in because people often confuse them with that and end up killing juvenile geckos due to impaction from housing them on sand.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Just want to say, leos aren't 'desert' technically. They are in that area, but more of a rocky terrain, not desert like sand. Just thought I'd put that in because people often confuse them with that and end up killing juvenile geckos due to impaction from housing them on sand.
Not all deserts are sand.. ;)

I personally keep all my juvies on paper towels and in smaller cages. Until they move up in the grams and get larger then I tend to change their surroundings.

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Not all deserts are sand.. ;)

I personally keep all my juvies on paper towels and in smaller cages. Until they move up in the grams and get larger then I tend to change their surroundings.
Yea that is what I plan to do when mine hatch here in the next month (hopefully). My adults are on slate tiles, makes life easy as well. It's a desertish climate in a way, but that seems to be it. When one says desert most people assume sand, better to be safe then have a dead critter :)

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
for a half water half land setup, I'd would suggest a fire-bellied newt. They are very personable. IMO, alot more than fire-bellied toads.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store