Battling Blue Green Algae (BGA)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
Allright so i've been having a BGA problem for the past few months in my 20G. First began growing at the back of my aquarium. On the other three sides i would wipe them off. I don't remember when (i'd say 3-4 months ago?) but it all of sudden started to grow on my substrate and plant leaves. After I spend a long time during each weekly water change picking the stuff out and making the substrate totally clean, it would begin to grow back after 2 or 3 days. Fortunately it only grows on the substrate in the front of the aquarium and not at the back (where i wouldn't be able to clean it). I just did my weekly water change so my tank is looking pretty clean right now. Next week i'll get a picture of the BGA at its worst

Any ideas on how i can combat and if possible, elminate BGA from my tank?

BrkD

Unregistered User
Nov 12, 2006
Brooklyn, N.Y
how much nitrates do you ahve? when your nitrates hit 0 youll probably have bga. dose nitrates and keep it at 5-20ppm. a 3-4 day complete blackout might help. when you do the black out cover your tank from all light. dont even lift the cover to feed the fish, they can go for weeks without food.

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
oops, forgot to post the water params

pH - 6.8
ammonia - 0
nitrItes - 0
nitrAtes - 10

Will my plants do OK in the 4 day black out?

i just did a water change yesterday and cleaned out the gunk. Today, i can see small spots of the BGA trying to grow back. im going to throw away those small patches of gravel, although I doubt it will help.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
your plants will be just fine in the 4-day blackout.. remember, no peeking or feeding! immediately after the blackout, do a major water change and thoroughly clean the plants and gravel. if it comes back, repeat the process as SOON as you see any traces of it growing again.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Maracyn(erythromycin) will kill it.
I was lucky and got some introduced to one of my tanks from a plant..it doesn't take much to get going..

you will need to remove all traces of it as it may re-establish.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
I was under the impression that a blackout wouldn't really do too much to get rid of cyanobacteria (blue green algae), since it is bacterial as star rider mentioned. Maracyn will kill it (I've also done this for cyano), but you should keep your test kit handy as the Maracyn will likely affect your bio filter, even though the manufacturer claims that it won't. Expect a mini cycle and be prepared to change some water.

Good luck! Cyano is tough to get rid of. Remember to remove as much of it manually as you can while you are treating your tank.

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
although it is a bacteria, it gets its energy through photosynthesis so yeah, a total black out for 4-5 days would probably work. i don't really like to dose chemicals and meds but i don't really like BGA either... although i have heard Maracyn to work

thanks for the suggestions

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store