Anemone low bioload too?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
I understand that fish have a much higher bioload than inverts (corals,shrimp,etc.). How about anemones? I feed mine about 1/3 of a raw shrimp every couple of days.

Let's say a 6" Blue Hippo for example compared to an 18" Sebae Anemone. Which one would produce more waste given the exact same diet? (Pretend the Blue just eats shrimp for argument's sake). Or swap the Hippo for a fish that would just eat shrimp. You guys know what I mean, right?
Thanks,
Tom

Germanman

My fish are my babies
i feed my nem once or twice a year...the halide does the rest they grow like monsters otherwise. i wouldnt do more than once a month with good lighting. inverts are very different they excrete from skin, some have glands, etc u cant really gauge it...just keep up matinence and ulll be fine...more load more care...my load is very heavy so it needs lots of money and care...

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
A friend of ours had a 12" green carpet anemone in his 120g. He fed it once a week. He started having nitrate problems, at least enough to negatively effect his corals. It took removing the anemone and doubling his water change schedule for a month to bring the nitrates back under control. Now, his tank looks better than it ever has. I guess he was feeding it too often?

Germanman

My fish are my babies
A friend of ours had a 12" green carpet anemone in his 120g. He fed it once a week. He started having nitrate problems, at least enough to negatively effect his corals. It took removing the anemone and doubling his water change schedule for a month to bring the nitrates back under control. Now, his tank looks better than it ever has. I guess he was feeding it too often?
yea sometimes they will toss out the food at night and it will rot and make a real mess.

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
O.k., I'll slow it down on the feeding. Maybe that's why my hydroid problem is so bad. Too many nutrients at once.
Thanks for the help,
Tom

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
yup that would do the hydroids
Germanman,
Do you have any secret ways to get rid of the hydroids? I've been kalk pasting them, but a couple always survive and it starts over again. Not to mention as the paste begins to break up, they always fall on the corals and clam.

Thanks,
Tom

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
There are no secret ways mate, just ways that people prefer..like the simple one of pushing a tooth brush up the end of a syphon tube to you start the syphon and as you brush the hydroids, the bits get sucked up the syphon and out of the tank....simple, effective..and certainly no secret..lol

Niko

Germanman

My fish are my babies
There are no secret ways mate, just ways that people prefer..like the simple one of pushing a tooth brush up the end of a syphon tube to you start the syphon and as you brush the hydroids, the bits get sucked up the syphon and out of the tank....simple, effective..and certainly no secret..lol

Niko
ya no secret way...niko nailed it

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com

Niko
That one was a secret to me:) Great idea!! I've got a lot to learn.
Thanks,
Tom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store