soon to be first time saltie seeks advice.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aoscar

big cichlids rule
Feb 16, 2007
grand rapids, michigan
I just purchaced a 75gallon from a coworker for 100 bucks, I am going to make my first saltwater setup and 2 things are a must.....
a Lionfish and live rock.I don't plan on being up and running for 4-6 months( I want to do plenty of research). I could use some advice on filtration, tankmates , set up , how to maintain such an aquarium, mixing water, and any saltwater newbie tips thank you in advance for any help

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
If I had it to do over again, and I wanted to do a non-reef type tank, and I scored a killer deal on a 75 gallon tank, here's what I'd do:

I wouldn't worry too much about the lighting. Maybe get some power compacts at the very most. Probably look for something used, something low wattage, but brighter than a single flourescant that comes with a hood.

But who knows, maybe that'd be good enough too. If you don't want corals, lights are just a headache....well, maybe they're cool if you want coraline on your rocks.

Which brings us to the next step. I wouldn't get anything but semi-fine grained sand. I got some arag-alive or some type stuff on craigslist for a great deal. When I got some little hermit crabs, they had a great time changing shells with all the zillions of little shells in my substrate. But, I've had some issues with crap getting stuck in all those little shell's nooks and crannies.

Plus, sand opens the door for all sorts of critters that specifically like to burrow in sand.

Rock, you gotta get some rock. Your best bet is to find some local. As a matter of fact, I could swear I just saw someone from michigan in the classifieds on this very board selling like 75 lbs of live rock.

You get enough established live rock and your filtration and even your cycle are well ahead of anything else.

I'd also get a few powerheads. The Maxi-Jet 1200s are great with plenty of horsepower. I'd bet 2 of them in a 75 would be perfect.

I'd also get a Coralife Super Skimmer, probably the 125 to hang on the back. I tried like 3 skimmers and had all sorts of issues finding a good one till the super skimmer. Works like a charm, easy to set up and all.

Then you just need your salt mix, and a hydrometer.

Well, there's also the water quality itself. Most people recommend RO/DI water, which requires you to make yourself a little system. If you use the wrong water from the getgo, you'll basically (from what I understand) infuse your sand with the posphates and whatever else is in your water.

But a lot of LFS have RO water, some even for free from posts I've read. I know the major stores like Petco sell it by 5 gallon jugs.

But, once you get your water, you fill your tank with it, mix in your salt, check it with the hydrometer, build yourself some crazy rockage with hiding places and cool tunnels for the fish to go through, then you put your sand in there around the rock, and wait a few days for that to settle. Turn on your powerheads when the water starts to clear, then your skimmer after the waters good and clear, get yourself a test kit that has ph, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, etc...

Oh, and maybe a piece of shrimp.

I wonder if this post will be too long?

Germanman

My fish are my babies
www.tahtfishplace.com is cheaper than fosters and smith and will price match.
use salifert test kits and any digital monitors u can afford for greater accuracy.
dont go fast, read up.
CPR, Berlin, Corallife are great skimmer brands.
depending on the type of lion the clowns will get eaten u can maybe do a gold stripe maroon clown with most lions if u get a large one.
get all testing equipment first, hydrometer, thermometer, and test kits for nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, ph, alk, and if u go reef calcium and phosphates as well. any other stuff u plan to add get a test kit for as well. use reef crystals for ur salt...its the best out of all the 8+ brands i have tried and many here will back me on that.
mos of all don't impulse buy and have fun!

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
You might check out my thread, extremely similar to yours:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106104

Finding a tank mate for a lionfish can be difficult. I don't think a clownfish would last very long. However, check into snowflake eels, angler fish (frogfish), and tangs. Some damselfish would make it with a lion, but only the smaller / more aggressive ones if they had lots of live rock to hide in.

I wouldn't suggest too powerful of a powerhead, lionfish are very lazy fish and wouldn't like being blown around - no reason to turn them into a kite in the wind, so to speak ;)

Water quality will be a huge factor in the success of your aquarium.

Also see if you can find a stand that's made for your aquarium, it's probably going to weigh just under 800lbs with everything loaded - if not more.

Here are a couple of links to help you out:
Equipment:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?N=2004&aid=1761
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/Shop.cfm?N=2004

Fish:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pCatId=15

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store