Keeping Red Cherry Shrimp Alive

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snickle

AC Members
Jan 4, 2007
I have been unable to keep Red Cherry Shrimp alive long enough to breed. The are in a 10G.

Params

76 degrees
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrites
10 Nitrates.

I have had them in the tank with a common Pleco. No dice.

Currently the tank a 8 really small neons of some type. The shrimp are as big as the fish and I see no evidence they are getting eaten alive.

I buy them young they grow to adult size and then start disappearing.

Thoughts?

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
What's the pH, gh, and Kh of the water? The water may simply be too soft and/or acidic for cherry shrimp. They do best in hard, alkaline water.

Dec 20, 2006
Michigan
I don't know about the shrimp, but you say you kept them in the 10 gallon with the pleco? That's not a good idea... generally, a pleco gets to be 2 feet and needs 100+ gallons of water.... I hope you understand that...

snickle

AC Members
Jan 4, 2007
The 10G was a temporary home for him. Long since moved out and he was only 6" at the time.

I don't know about the shrimp, but you say you kept them in the 10 gallon with the pleco? That's not a good idea... generally, a pleco gets to be 2 feet and needs 100+ gallons of water.... I hope you understand that...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store