Cichlid nOOb, please help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lazonby

AC Members
Dec 6, 2002
TX
Visit site
Hi!

I am fairly new to keeping South/Central American cichlids. I've done quite a bit of research on proper enviornments and the like, but I'm having a problem finding good info on compatibility.

I already have a Green Terror (what a great fish btw) and a Texas Cichlid. They are/were in a 29g. The GT was outgrowing the TC by far, and the little guy was looking kind of ragged, although I think the problem is with this one unknown rowdy botia I have. I moved the TC into a 10 gallon of his own (he's only 1.5"), while the GT shares the 29g with the rowdy botia and 2 clown loaches. They are getting along fine.

What I'd like to know are what tankmates would go great with the GT and the TC? I plan on moving them both into my 100g tank. I was thinking maybe 1 or 2 Firemouths, maybe 1 Jack Dempsey, and I haven't figured out what else (maybe 1 or 2 more--suggestions welcome!).

The 100g tank is already heavily planted, but I will remove the stem plants, and anything else that could get tore up, and leave the Java Fern, Swords, Anubias, and Cryptocornes. I plan on adding more driftwood, along with some caves, rocks, and a clay pot or two so they all have their own territories.

Am I on the right track? Any suggestions for fish? Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Sum-X

La Dee Da Dee Do
Sep 15, 2001
Newark, Ohio
www.designerscrypt.com
Real Name
Aaron
Do you have anything in the 100 gallon right now?

With Green Terrors and Texas Cichlids, there should be fish that either: can defend themselves, are aggresive as well, or hides all of the time... But you probably already know that. Anyways, what I would do, a little pricie though, is an Arowana. :D But, bottom dwellers should really have no problems, as long as they stick to the bottom. ;)

My two cents, not sure it helped, but oh well. :D

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Hello.

IMO. The firemouths are out. They are not nearly as tough as the other 2 and will probably take the brunt of the beatings.

As for the JD it would have to be a fair sized dominant male to hold his own against a Green terror. They really aren't that tough when it comes to the big boys.

Green terrors are mean sob's.

A red terror would work or maybe a big male synspilum.

Mojo would be the perfect person to ask this question. His experience is light years ahead of almost all the people that I confid in when it comes to big cichlids.

Swordfish

aka Max Power!
Nov 9, 2001
London, Ontario, Canada
Problem is, when the GT and texas are fully grown, there will be little room left for another large cichlid.
Something smaller along the lines of a firemouth would be your only options.

Sum-X

La Dee Da Dee Do
Sep 15, 2001
Newark, Ohio
www.designerscrypt.com
Real Name
Aaron
But I agree with Scotto... Firemouths really aren't as aggresive as most people think, same goes for severums, but, I just don't think they would fair too good in with two other large Cichlids. I do agree also, that Mojo, would be the best person to ask on this matter. ;)

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
in the 100gallon tank,if its an older 6' tank i would say keep the green terror and the texas along with the botia and two loaches.
then i would go and get 1 more clown loach and maybe a 3 Silver dollars and a medium sized pleco and that would be about it for that tank. Itll will be fully stocked for the long run and will be pretty active with target/dithers and a clean up crew. The GT gets pretty large and are usually passive like an oscar, but will try to eat whatever it can. Texas/carpinte(which ever it really is) i found to be a bit on the aggressive side as they get older and will pick on alot of fish. try it out and good luck.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Originally posted by Swordfish
Problem is, when the GT and texas are fully grown, there will be little room left for another large cichlid.
Something smaller along the lines of a firemouth would be your only options.
I disagree.

I just had similar conversation with Mo about one of my tanks.

I was talking about putting a Carpinte with a red terror with my large male JD (7 inches)

This is the exact point that he made to me.
If the Jack Dempsey was smaller I would say put in both. Sometimes when their are only two cichlids in one tank, they both will set up territories and scales can fly. With three it breaks up the aggression. Given the size of the JD I would have to say put in the bigger of the two (Texas or is it a Carpinte?).
Now my situation was similar but obviously different, but Mo does have a point.
I have done the controlled overcrowding thing in the past with less aggressive cichlids, but never thought about doing it with the bigger more aggressive ones.

In Lazonby's tank it could work.

Just my opinion though.

BTW: I went with the Carpinte, and still am considering the terror.

Lynsey

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I would say, add a couple of convicts. They are on the smaller side, and they are tought little devils. You could also try a salvini. They tend to not get as large as the books say, and they are pretty tough. They are also, and more importantly, very fast.

Lazonby

AC Members
Dec 6, 2002
TX
Visit site
Awesome! Great info! Thanks a whole lot! You may have just saved a Firemouth's life!

So, here's what I was thinking:

Keep 3 cichlids - The Green Terror, Texas, and pick up a Jack.
Construct (naturally) 'territories' for each one.
Add loaches, pleco, algae eaters.

Hmm, algae eaters: what kind are safe? I have 4 otocinclus in with the GT at the moment, and he leaves them alone. Maybe he doesn't like catfish? :) I know he can kill them easily and even eat them, but not problems so far. Will oto's be a problem? What about SAE's?

Also, I would like to add a catfish or two if possible, maybe a synodontis? Suggestions?

I can tell you now that the GT is a bad boy. He is super strong, very healthy, beautiful, and has an aggressive attitude, but very cautious. I don't think he's really mean (yet), just aggressive. I really like his personality! He's only 3" in size. I can't imagine what he will be like when he reaches full size!

Question about plants: can I leave the Echinodorus tennelus (chain sword) in the tank? It's grown in well and I really don't want to take it out. If it gets damaged some, that's ok; it grows fast.

Sum-X

La Dee Da Dee Do
Sep 15, 2001
Newark, Ohio
www.designerscrypt.com
Real Name
Aaron
Otos: I wouldn't trust Otos with big aggresive Cichlids... You never know when they'll get hungry...

SAE: IMO are a waste of money and are very lazy... They don't do a good job and are known to stop eating algae when they grow larger.

Synodontis: There are very many to choose from and all will probably do fine in there. Plecos are nice too... Try a Bristlenose Pleco, if you can find one. They do a good job...

Your Plant should be fine, especially seeing that it grows fast.

I hope my info helps. Good luck! ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store