water flow across lsb

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

12learn

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
good morning, i was just reading a thread on sand bed cleaning and it was mentioned that if you have enough flow across the sand that i should not have dirty sand, does this also include the brown diatom lightly laying in some areas of my tank. would you use a powerhead with a spraybar at each end. ( i am sorry my tank is a 150 gallon, 60 inch in length and is 24 in tall) if this is correct how low into the tank should the spraybar be . right now i have a mag 24 returning from my sump and 2 rio 2100 powerheads inside the main tank. however when i direct them where i think i get good flow across the sand bottom, the sand is moved and makes new hills that also hinders other sand areas. then i redirect them more across the middle of the tank, i get less sand disturbed hills but now i get some bottom diatom. i am using the coralife 24 ro unit for water changes and currently have new vho flourescents. any help or thoughts will be appreciated. thanks

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
hi there 12learn.....

All i did in my old tank, before going to a new one wiht a closed loop is have a low powered powerhead at one end of the tank. Start off with it a few inches high and just keep edging it upwards untill it stops disrupting the sand bed....have a wide nosle on the out put of the powerhead to distribute water over a wider area...worked a treat for me...

Brown diatom algae on the sand bed is a usual pointer of a dead spot as the detrius is settling there, rather than being held in the water column and removed by skimming and filtration...

Hope that helps a little...

Niko

12learn

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
lsb cleaning

hello , just got back in town and got a chance to read the replies and wanted to thank you all for your help. i will try to relocate the powerheads in a friendlier area

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store