lethargic green spotted asian pufferfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

puffer boy

AC Members
Apr 19, 2007
New Jersey
I've had 2 asian puffers for about a year now... woke up this morning and they were both floating at the surface... still alive but extremely lethargic... after a water change they seemed fine for about 30 minutes then back to surface again... anyone have a diagnosis on this one? It would be greatly appreciated.

puffer boy

AC Members
Apr 19, 2007
New Jersey
no signs of any illness... this was very acute... they were fine yesterday... did all tests on water and everything checks out... any ideas?

puffer boy

AC Members
Apr 19, 2007
New Jersey
A little less than 2 months ago I added a small (7-8 inch) snowflake eel... been dropping in about 24 feeder guppies every week and a half... eel will eat half of these in the same day... the puffers "graze" on the rest... I'm thinking this might have something to do with it... just don't know exactly how or why.

puffer boy

AC Members
Apr 19, 2007
New Jersey
Thanks for responding... The following are my test results... (Ammonia - between 0 and 0.25 ppm) (Ph - 8.2) (nitrITE - 0 ppm) (nitrATE - between 0 and 5.0 ppm) (temp. - 76F) (SG - 1.022)... hope this helps... anything else, let me know,
Eric

puffer boy

AC Members
Apr 19, 2007
New Jersey
Please help... any advice would be great... my poor little fish are dying a slow death... it's horrible to watch... and on my birthday no less...

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I don't know alot about Puffers but your Ammonia levels definately need to be Zero and from what I've read (not experienced) they like that temp at 77F-79F. I know it's only a degree but it might help. Is there any chance that something has caused them to "puff" as this causes them stress - maybe they don't like your eel or it doesn't like them. Also any chance you can test for Phosphates as well? I'm really clutching at straws here but anything to help a fellow fishkeeper!!

puffer boy

AC Members
Apr 19, 2007
New Jersey
Thank you so much catpicklesdog... they actually have "puffed"... this is why they are floating... something tells me that it's not a fear of the eel though, as the eel has been around for a couple months already and all has been well... besides, now the eel is acting lethargic as well... Still after one whole and one half water change every one in the tank is taking a turn for the worse... I'll try upping the temp a bit and checking phosphates (thanks for that)... I'm just puzzled... I'm thinking it may have started with the feeder guppies I dropped in 2 days ago... they may have been tainted some how...
Thanks again,
Eric

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store