>>fishiebusiness<<

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Can we see some pix of the thumbsplitter, pretty please with (whatever toppings) on top?

Last edited:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I'm also kinda curious as to how to keep one of those things...it seems like it would be neat (and scary as heck in the middle of the night...<SNAP>...what was that???)

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
I kept one for a while...easy as can be. Give it a rock with some caves, decent water quality, and some meaty food once a day. Very forgiving for an invertebrate, and some species can get a solid 5-6" with time and care. A LFS in Virginia Beach has a massive 6" peacock mantis that is just beautiful...assuming it didn't take off any fingers when you were feeding it!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Is that the Fish Safari near Lynnhaven Mall? (Yep, used to live in VB...Navy Brat.)

I think that keeping a Mantis Shrimp would be a fun project to be undertaken in the (a little more distant) future...so long as my thumb doesn't get the short end of the food stick. :D

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
We had one in the overflow on our invert tank, does that count?

Not sure how it got in there from the main tank, but we just left him be for about 6 months. Bright green, very interested in us--it would duck to hide, then sneak back out to watch us watch it. Scary--did have to remove it a few times to clean the sponges. We'd pull the sponge out, and usually dump it into a basin of water. Had to grab it once--used tongs--and man could that thing smack the heck out of those tongs! Would have broken skin, and our little monster was only about 1-2 inches long.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Is there a picture on your site? I wouldn't mind seeing it, nor would I mind taking it off your hands if you ever wanted to send it my way!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Nope--we didn't have the digital camera during the occupation. I tried with my 35mm, but the bugger wouldn't slow down enough for me to take a decent pic. Some time later, he made his way out of the overflow and into the main tank. Since we valued our blood shrimp WAY more than the little monster, we pulled him out and fed him to the lion fish. Sorry! If we get another one, I have a small tank that is probably going to become it's home.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Eh, figured...I'll be looking for those buggers...surprising my roomie next year would be fun!

(How come you keep calling it a lion fish? It's NOT a lion? :))

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
(I'd just tell the head of Residential Life that he could come remove it bare-handed, if he wanted me to get rid of it! :))

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Hey Chil. There's a mantis only forum over at www.Reefcentral.com/ Maybe you could find something there. It seems that mantis folk are like betta people, they're super-hardcore into just mantis and not much else. Oh, and Fish Safari has to be the greatest name ever for a(n?) LFS. I can just picture putting on a Daiktari hat and kahki shorts and running in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store