bluegill care

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

skateroffallen

AC Members
Mar 18, 2007
hello,
my friend who is very iresponsable, has a baby bluegill which he caught from a pond that is in a very small tank and he wants to get rid of it...so does anyone have any history of caring for these or any tips on these little guys because i would like to take the little cuty and hopefully take care of it the right way.

skateroffallen

AC Members
Mar 18, 2007
oh and idk if this is freshwater or not so if its not please movie it for me moderators and sorry for the troubles also

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
and they are VERY aggressive, you can usually only keep them with coldwater fishes of their own kind, or larger pond species such as bass and other panfish, which would require a larger tank.

tsdpurdue

tsdpurdue
Feb 25, 2007
Indiana
At school I have 45 gallon aquarium with 4 bluegills and a bass with a crayfish. They are pretty easy to take care of. We feed them crappie minnows everytime we get a chance too. It is an amazing site to watch them feed. We also feed them flake food, night crawlers, and bee moths.

skateroffallen

AC Members
Mar 18, 2007
anyone else have any tips that could help like maybe what to do when i first introduce him into the tank?

Shocker6966

AC Members
Nov 5, 2006
Peterborough, Ontario
Treat them as cold water new world cichlids. Although they like lower tropical temps, being a local species, keeping them in an unheated tank will automatically attune the tank temp to the ideal temp unless your house air conditioned.

Be prepared too as bluegills have the potential to achieve lengths of up to 18" which would be a bit large for a 30.

Darter02

Cool Beans!
Feb 4, 2007
Greensburg, PA
www.myspace.com
I used to keep a native species paludarium. We tried keeping some small bluegills in it but they quickly out grew the tank. Once moved into a larger set up they grew to the size of dinner plates! They ate just about anything, but really enjoyed live redworms from the bait store the best.

Here is a site with some info on them: http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/pafish/fishhtms/chap22.htm#blugill

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store