bluegill introduction

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

skateroffallen

AC Members
Mar 18, 2007
so i was thinking about getting a baby bluegill from my friend who got it from a pond a day or two ago and i was just wondering how i should introduce it into my tank...if you have any ideas please let me know. thanks! :dance2:

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
does anyone have any tips?
What do you have in your tank?
If you have an empty tank, I would say sure but if its an established tank, no way. You must Quarantine this fish before introducing it to your stock. And what do you have in there? As it grows its going to eat everything you have. One small fish should do well in a 20 gallon but they do grow to good size and would need to be moved up to a 55 gallon.

teleost

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
chicagoland
Native fish from the wild are just as clean as LFS purchases provided the water they were taken from is decent. Some lowland areas can have above average loads of parasites but I've had more problems from LFS purchases than from wild caught natives.

All that being said I agree that quarantine is important for any/all fish.

About the bluegill....They can be pretty nippy, get rather large (and require a larger tank for this reason) and are just about the least colorful of all the native sunfishes.

I'd hold out for another more colorful and or smaller sunfish to add to your tank if possible.

teleost

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
chicagoland
What's your general location (state)?
I'll bet you have some pretty neat sunfish in your area that you might not even know exist.

Yankee Dog

AC Members
Dec 28, 2006
Somerville, AL
bluegill are about as hardy a fish as you will find. about all you need to do it acclimtized him to the water temp change. but him in a bag with some of the water he is currently in. float the whole thing in his new home tank. After about a half hour or so dip him out and put him in the new tank.

he will eat about anything you put in the tank. if he is not used to flake food it will take him awhile to recognize it as such. dont overfeed in the mean time.

Yankee Dog

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store