Blood streaked fins + cotton wool spot issue

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Obi-Figo

Schnooganz
Mar 17, 2007
Manchester - England
Hi peeps,

Juwel trigon 190
204 fluval external canister
2 x Ryunkins
1xCalico Ranchu

I have a Ryunkin (mimas) who has developed slight blood streaking in his tail and pelvic fins, they are not thick but they are there, i've checked all the water parameters and there fine, i moved them into the new tank 3 weeks ago and started to notice them then, last week he developed a small cotton wool spot on his tail fin, this along with the blood streaks have remained the same (not got worse), i take it this is haemmorhagic septiceamia due to stress, his poo was stringy after i moved him but its now getting better. ive treated the tank with primafix but when i removed the carbon after a few days my tank has gone cloudy, so ive replaced the carbon. Whilst treating the cotton wool spot started to moult (a stringy piece hanging off it) but it hasnt gone. He is acting as normal, fins out, balanced swimming and hungry as ever...so........what to do now, will water changes solve this? carry on adding Primafix? or treat him seperately? and with what?

any help would be appreciated :)

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
That's probably bacterial. You could try Maracn and Marayn2, which is available in the stores, but the best thing is Medi-Gold. You'd have to order that on line, though. Goldfish Connection delivers fast.

Also, the Medi-Gold won't mess with your cycle.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Perhaps you could post your water parameters? Often what seems "fine" can be just a touch off on the wrong parameter and there's your problem.

How often are you feeding him, what are you feeding, and how much? I just dealt with a septicemia problem a while back that was caused by overfeeding. I thought my parameters were fine, but I realized I had a long-term low-level nitrate problem. I was feeding too much and too often. The uneaten food was fouling up the water and causing the septicemia.

Now, with the cotton wool, it's possible that it's related. Septicemia could have weakened the fish and made him susceptible to the cotton wool. I would try the Medi-Gold. I haven't used it, but I've heard it's fantastic. Check goldfishconnection.com or doctorsfostersmith.com. One of those two might have it.

Good luck!

Obi-Figo

Schnooganz
Mar 17, 2007
Manchester - England
Will do thanx,

nitrite 0 ppm mg/l
Ammonnia 0.0 mg/l
temp 21.6c
pH 7.4

i feed once a day, 3 days sunken flakes/pellets-1 day peas-1 day live Daphnia and 1 day break

....but i have over fed Goldfish before, its a much under-rated art, i think im going to try and get the medi-gold food along with daily water changes? wot u think??

How did your fishy do? how long did it take to get better?

Thanx

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
Goldfish are easy to over feed, because they beg!

I was given a fish with mouth rot and septicemia, and he's all better now. He looked like a goner, for sure.

Obi-Figo

Schnooganz
Mar 17, 2007
Manchester - England
They are clever little buggers!!!! :) bless em

Ill try and find some medi-gold tomorrow, ive looked on google tonight but it
doesnt seem as readily available in the UK as the US,

Thanx again for the help,

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Your numbers look fine, so I would try to find the medi-gold and do some major water changes. It's probably an internal infection in that case, and I imagine the Medi-gold will clear that up. If you can't find medi-gold, try maracyn or maracyn-2. I've used both with great results.
In any case, if you can get ahold of meds or not, I'd do some large water changes, then slowly raise the temperature to 27* C/80* F, and add some aquarium salt. Goldfish are most susceptible to illness between about 21*-23* C/69*-75* F (if I did my conversions right). Heating up the tank and adding salt will help the fish's immune system fight off the infection. It's always a good idea with sick fish, and sometimes heat and salt can clear up a fish's problems even without meds! Make sure to use aquarium salt though- most places with fish supplies will have aquarium salt. Table salt won't work.
Good luck!

Obi-Figo

Schnooganz
Mar 17, 2007
Manchester - England
Thanx all,

Ive done 20% water changes all week along with adding Premaifx + a bit of salt and i think its starting working, the cotton wool is reducing so maybe hes starting to fight and recover....so ill keep going along the same tracks whilst trying to find medi-gold over here in the UK...which is a task in itself, does anyone know if it available over here and do i need the post medi-gold food or is this just a marketing thing??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store