cycling & amphipods.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ryuku32

let's get dangerous!
Apr 16, 2007
southern maryland
reef.scottn.us
i think i lost 1 of only 2 verified amphipod inhabitants! he's been laying out on his back for about 20min twitching a bit. i put API 5in1 strip in like OMG somethings going on. copepods are flowing out of every crevice, though. The top suction cup on my heater for some reason never wants to stay suctioned to the glass. it's a copepod party behind it!
so weirdly enough my nitrites are 0 and nitrates (color scale has: 0, 20, 40, ...) i reckon are like 5. really really weak. i didn't expect this so soon.
saturday: pH 8.5, NO2 10, NO3 80.
sunday: pH 8.5, NO2 4, NO3 30.
i've not yet mastered the color strips but i don't need precision to tell when a cycles done. pH showed a lil yellow dot at first but it bled out to the usual red, maybe it can be read as slightly below 8.5.

definitely want to put hermits and snails in soon (tomorrow?!$#@) then and start running lights. i've not ran them yet...

oh SP.. haven't done that regularly it just hit me. a hair over 1.025 @ 78.7F. not much water gone. used tap for first fill, but will be using DI for top-off and water changes now. will utilize the LFS until I eBay some stuff from previous hobby to foot the bill for RO/DI of my own...

DarthFred6996

AC Members
Mar 13, 2007
Get a better testing kit. The strips will drive you crazy guessing. IO has one that is nice. Seachem has one too.

ryuku32

let's get dangerous!
Apr 16, 2007
southern maryland
reef.scottn.us
well to celebrate i wanted to put something in my tank. only fish store is petco...:eek: yeah i know. i live in the middle of nowhere. there is one other guy but his tanks look worse, although he's more knowledgeable. so i only got 4 hermit crabs. they're fools. no species, but from the cost and the look -- reg-legged all the way. i shouldn't have to directly feed them, right? :confused:

Germanman

My fish are my babies
Get a better testing kit. The strips will drive you crazy guessing. IO has one that is nice. Seachem has one too.
yea i would ahev to agree here liquid test kits are going to be much better and acurate....Salifert is one of the best

well to celebrate i wanted to put something in my tank. only fish store is petco...:eek: yeah i know. i live in the middle of nowhere. there is one other guy but his tanks look worse, although he's more knowledgeable. so i only got 4 hermit crabs. they're fools. no species, but from the cost and the look -- reg-legged all the way. i shouldn't have to directly feed them, right? :confused:
yes u shouldt have to feed them unless there isnt enough for them to pick at.
also congrats on ur first animals!

ryuku32

let's get dangerous!
Apr 16, 2007
southern maryland
reef.scottn.us
yea i would ahev to agree here liquid test kits are going to be much better and acurate....Salifert is one of the best
i do use a liquid ammonia test, since it wasn't in the 5-in-1. a real kit wasn't in my start-up costs. have to be a bit later. =( it's definitely on "phase 2"'s shopping list. with a refractometer and timers for the lights. actually might need those light timers sooner since i'll be out of town this weekend, eh?

yes u shouldt have to feed them unless there isnt enough for them to pick at.
also congrats on ur first animals!
how do i know what's enough, and of what? ;) "detirous" (i spelled it so bad even the dictionary won't help me).

Germanman

My fish are my babies
how do i know what's enough, and of what? ;) "detirous" (i spelled it so bad even the dictionary won't help me).
well thats kinda of hard really...i guess if they seem to strip the rocks clean then they will need some food. but once u get fish they should have plenty to eat...almost always isnt a problem unless u get like 30 hermits for a 10 gallon lol

ryuku32

let's get dangerous!
Apr 16, 2007
southern maryland
reef.scottn.us
i have what i believe a modest inhabitants list. i tried posting it twice, at work using Internet Explorer, and lost it each time. i hate IE. :) good descriptive post, but while i'm talking about it here's the low-down on the crew:

2 turbo snails
8 margarita snails
2 more red-legs
and maybe 2 scarlets

think i should trim it down if i want that $30 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp? :)

ryuku32

let's get dangerous!
Apr 16, 2007
southern maryland
reef.scottn.us
yea would do maybe just 2 small hermits if u want the cleaner shrimp...and make sure the turbos dont fall on their backs they cant right themselves and will really foul the aquarium if the die.
i saw lots of turbos at petco. i think they were all on their backs. i said forget the snails. i already have 4 crabs, so too late to go with 2. they're not all red, just the first one i saw. i see 2 blue, and the 4th... i hope he does something soon. it's only been a minute and i didn't observe him so much in the bag. they can turn themselves up right, yes? PETCO... never again.
That Fish Place is 2.5 hours away... I can transport live fishies that long right? I mean they're sending them through the mail nowadays.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store