New Cichlid Tank Suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mgrubb

Registered Member
May 12, 2003
UK
Visit site
Hi All

I am a first timer to the forum and I am looking for some advice and suggestions. My partner and I are embarking on setting up our first Chichlid tank. We are starting from the begining. We used to keep quite a succeful f/w community tank till a batch of badly infected neons wiped out most of our mature stock. Fault on both parties I guess for not isolating them before introduction and also the seller for having bad fish. Anyway after much thinking we decided to go at it from scratch and thought it would be a good idea to maybe give Cichlids a go. We have just set the tank up which is sized as follows

36*18*12 roughly taking 25 uk gallons

Not the biggest tank in the world for keeping fish but it was just a small commuinty tank before.

We have kitted it out with natural peeble gravel around and 1 1/2 " deep as we have read these fish like to dig and also paid around £45.00 around $70.00 for a good natural looking rock formation. I don't think we are going to go down the route of adding any plants fake or natural. We have a Intepret 3 cannister filter which is a good powerful model sold over here in the UK and a sufficient heater for those cold winter nights.

At present the tank is going through its two week cycle so this give us plenty of time to research which type of fish we would like to see in the set up.

As I understand Cichlids can grow quite large so we do not have any illusions of a large number of fish we thought maybe 5 - 6 at the most.

I was hoping for some suggestions as to which family of cichlid to target for ease of keeping and availabilty and also who would live together quarellsome free. We dont realyy want to go down the route of breeding them either as we have no where to store them even if we were that lucky, they will be for display purposes only so a good mix of colour would be nice

As we have stated even though we are not beginners at keeping fish we are also no experts either so simple suggestions and advice is more than welcome

Thanks in advance

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
i think that calculates to 33 us gallons? someone tell me if im wrong, but if i did the calculations right, you would have to stick to smaller species, like rainbow cichlids, or convicts. you could also i think go with africans, but i do not have any experience with them. also, some dwarf cichlids are hardy, and very beautiful.

firetank

calibration boy
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
heya mgrubb -- thats the same size as my main tank:

what are your water perameters(ph, kh, gh..)

there are plenty of species that will easily get along in a 36",
depending if your after low or high ph loving fish.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store