Woah... my water is clear! CLEAR!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ILOVEBETTAS

It's Cory Lover's cat!
Sorry it's so long. But it's not your average FAQ, it's real interesting. I'd love it if you'd read...

Okay. Well. I got back from vacation and my tank water was green (eww...) and my mom thought something was wrong with it... I didn't give the house sitters instructions to clean it because they have no experience with fish and would probably do it wrong. Well. No fish were dead and they were all healthy. I cleaned it the next day and it cleared up a bit... but just a bit. My mom said there was probably something wrong with the filter. It was still running correctly and had no blockages. So I decided to keep the lights off and feed minimally for a week until I could get to cleaning it and get a better filter(I am a bad, bad, bad girl. Don't kill me.) Every day or other day I would check it. So two days ago I walked up and it was its dirty usual. For some reason, my head told me NOT to clean it (!?) I went up yesterday and looked, and it was PERFECTLY CLEAR. I thought something was wrong with my eyes. I had done nothing different for a week and it just decided to become clear one day! The filter had been working the same way (that I know of) and the water turned from green to clear in 1 1/2 days and NO ONE cleaned it! I forgot to mention, alls I gots in there is 4 bettas (1 m that acts like a girl and 3 f's), 2 black skirt tetras that won't die (haha,) 1 red-eyed tetra (my brother gave him to me), and 5 cories. Not OS in my opinion, on account of the bettas don't fight.

Why... oh why... did my tank turn hideously clear? (kidding...)

Ooh, and It's funny how for some reason I felt I shouldn't clean it... that's kinda cool that I just got to sit there and watch it turn clear... haha

Linariel

AC Members
Apr 3, 2007
Michigan
I'm pretty sure it got clear because you weren't adding fresh tapwater to feed the algae. Tapwater is usually full of phosphates, which can worsen the problem.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
I Concur.........:D

ILOVEBETTAS

It's Cory Lover's cat!
I'm pretty sure it got clear because you weren't adding fresh tapwater to feed the algae. Tapwater is usually full of phosphates, which can worsen the problem.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
So I should never change the water? (ya right...) but how can I keep it clean?

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
About 20 or 30% a week should be fine.Depending on water paramiters......:)

skeletonhand

Landscaper Extraordinaire
Sep 9, 2006
Lincoln, NE
Here's my theory on it. I'm sure the blackout did the trick. If the algae in the water was green, it needed light to photosynthesize. No light, no way to make food!

Last edited:

ILOVEBETTAS

It's Cory Lover's cat!
The algae was green... and now it's dying. HAHAHAHA! sorry....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store