SEXING CONVICTS (PICS ATTACHED)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bpmk2rider

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
Can anyone please help me sex my 2 con's.. i just took a few pics, let me know what you think.. thanks alot

jyhg 023.jpg jyhg 024.jpg jyhg 027.jpg jyhg 025.jpg

jenny79

sensation79
Apr 24, 2007
Rocky Ridge Md.
These convicts you have are most Deff. Females, mature and ready for breeding. If you need a male that you want to breed with let me know i'll see if i have any little 1's left. Any convict with a colored tummy like that red or orange is females, my breeding female i have her belly is like a lime green. Any ?'s get ahold of me i have been breeding these for 3 years now they r a piee of cake to breed and to care for

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Whatever you do, don't put a male cichlid of another species in the tank w/the female cons. They're notorious for crossbreeding, and mutts aren't a good thing with cichlids.

managuay86

New World Cichlid Keeper
Sep 13, 2005
San Diego, California
Whatever you do, don't put a male cichlid of another species in the tank w/the female cons. They're notorious for crossbreeding, and mutts aren't a good thing with cichlids.
um... this will start world war three i just know it... :p if you look at freshwater today most species of cichlids are inbreeds. which can have health problems. Most turn out to not be as hardy. An intro of another closly related species can only improve the health. I am not saying make a new species and sell it. But if you breed the mutt with a pure convict then the babies will be 75% convict and 25% watever. then breed the 75% with a pure convict then bam you got yourself a pure, not inbred convict ready to take the world! (in theory)

in short Im for mutts but not for selling them to make a quick buck. But to help preserve the pure cichlid species.
ON TOPIC: yep you got two girlies. put a male pink convict in there babies should come out looking cool. :) **** i miss having cichlids..

bpmk2rider

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
what do you think about oscars? will they breed with the cons? i have 2 convicts also.. i dont know what sex they are though

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Inbreeding and crossbreeding are 2 different things.

managuay86

New World Cichlid Keeper
Sep 13, 2005
San Diego, California
yeah inbreeding is a lot worse IMO

Sophi

AC Members
Mar 19, 2007
I've actually heard that inbreeding with fish isn't really that bad. You can probably go a good 6 or 7 generations before any terrible things show up. however with crossbreeding it's a lot trickier because you don't really know what you'll get.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store