Polyp Leather HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sapgranth25

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Sheffield uk
i`ve had a polyp leather for a fair few months anyway i up graded my tank & it was doing fine for 2 half wks rite up until i added a

uv sterilizer & fresh active carbon to my tank

i`ve had problems when adding new carbon to the tank before but could it be the uv sterilizer?

the leather is like smaller than normal & a duller green & no polyps are coming out its been 4days now since its been its normal light green/yellow polyps out self

added a picture took off my mobile to show you what sort of leather it is sorry for the poor picture

rename leather.jpg

sapgranth25

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Sheffield uk
bit better picture

27-02-07_1435.jpg

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
in my opinion, UV sterilizers should only be run when there is a swimming stage paracite in the tank I.E from an Ich outbreak, microalage outbreaks etc etc...

They remove far to much from the water column to be continuously running..

Not saying that its this that is effecting your coral, but it could be a contributing factor...

Niko

sapgranth25

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Sheffield uk
that's why the uv is in there because when i up graded my tank i got a hint of ich its only been running 4days same with the new carbon so im not sure which to pin it down to like i said i`ve had problems with carbon before i think i may have shocked the leather by hitting it with the new carbon & the uv all at once to much change in the water mmmmmmmmmmm what do you suggest a water change of what scale to refresh some of what the uv & carbon has taken out

i`ve heard of people running uv`s from the scratch & until the day they pack the game in also i`d imagine that if uv have this effect on corals the company's supplying them should warn people to the effects etc??!!!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I would suggest doing a 15% water change to start off with, and take it from there mate...

I know a lot of people who have them running continuously, its such a debated issues and it can only be taken as personal preference in my opinion...

sapgranth25

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Sheffield uk
The UV is off now & i`ll do a 25ltr 10% water change as my water level will go to far down with a 15% water change just running RO water off & if it picks up by tomorrow or day after i will know it was the UV i imagine at the moment phosphate algae good/bad bacteria is building up again in the water i'm not sure what else the UV can take out that would effect the LEATHER..

i`m thinking would the leather have continued down the road of silk & then die are would it have got used to the water changes & kicked back.....

i`ve read that LEATHERS can be Mardy at times but saying that so can star polyps & there all fine within the tank

sapgranth25

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Sheffield uk
well i`ve took it out a few days back now but its a cheap brand & it says its ok for marine aqua the brand is supa activated carbon think its a uk only brand tho...

Last edited:

sapgranth25

AC Members
May 25, 2006
Sheffield uk
so your thinking it may have been the carbon or the uv?
or just one of those things that happens with corals at times?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store