Open Brain "Open Mouth" HELPPPPP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kandibrandy

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
Calgary, Alberta Canada
Hi all,

Here it is. Last week we acclimated all our existing corals from 10 gallon. Went well, everything is great. 4 Days later did the same for our 3 fish. 1 day after that and till now our open brain won't expand and two of it's 3 mouths have been wide open. I can see it's skeleton through it's mouths...Have put food on numerous occasions right in the mouth, and it tends to close it a bit but still open...I know it's not secreting waste. What can be wrong with it?

Water params are as follows...Am 0, Ite 0, Ates 0-5, Cal 440, PH 8.2-8.4? Phos 0, Temp 77-78F
We started running carbon for chemicals we can't test for. I have also been dosing Iodine per bottle recomendations and we add Calxmax 3 times a week.

Anything I google doesn't mention "open mouth". And I can't see anything resembling any of the coral diseases...

Also in the 10 gallon we had it on a rock and it was fine, we put it on a rock mid tank and it was fine for 3 days. Now we have moved it to the bottom on the sand...T5 390watt lighting...

If I missed anything let me know...

WHAT CAN I DO FOR IT??

kandibrandy

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
Calgary, Alberta Canada
Anyone???

kandibrandy

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
Calgary, Alberta Canada
bumppppp

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Hi Kandi, I can see you're desperate for help. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with Open Brains but I have been trawling the internet trying to find an answer for you (you sounded so desperate) I wasn't sure if you'd come across this site in your search http://www.wetwebmedia.com/openbrncrlfaq3.htm

Just trying to help in any little way I can!

kandibrandy

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
Calgary, Alberta Canada
Thanks CPD...and yup I read that one. Trust me I have googled like crazy and they all say the same stuff, and nothing much about constant open mouths...If our water params were off then hey I could fix it but I'm totally at a loss. Hopefully someone will chyme in with the same experience...and a solution.

Thanks

Germanman

My fish are my babies
hummm yea corals are hard to figure out...but ill try and see if i can find an answer but ill have to pic ur brain a bit here.
ok remind me of your lighting and then what was the lighting in the store u got it from. has anything seemed to pic on it at all? where/how close is it to the light. what were you feeding it and how in more detail. also can i get a pic of the coral or maybe a deeper description? sounds like a water quality issue, but things look fine. i make so many posts so i forget...but do u use tap or RO? if i remember right its is ro. have you added anything else new? what brand carbon? and i highly recommend getting a test kit for the iodine...but doubt thats the problem. did ur skimmer back flow? is there a film on the water? how is algae growth and behavior of other corals?
sorry for all the questions....just hitting them all

kandibrandy

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
Calgary, Alberta Canada
hummm yea corals are hard to figure out...but ill try and see if i can find an answer but ill have to pic ur brain a bit here.
ok remind me of your lighting and then what was the lighting in the store u got it from. has anything seemed to pic on it at all? where/how close is it to the light. what were you feeding it and how in more detail. also can i get a pic of the coral or maybe a deeper description? sounds like a water quality issue, but things look fine. i make so many posts so i forget...but do u use tap or RO? if i remember right its is ro. have you added anything else new? what brand carbon? and i highly recommend getting a test kit for the iodine...but doubt thats the problem. did ur skimmer back flow? is there a film on the water? how is algae growth and behavior of other corals?
sorry for all the questions....just hitting them all
Lighting T5 390 watt(3 10,000k 3 actinic 50/50)
We've had it for 6 months, just acclimated it to our 72 gallon Apr, 19
When we moved it we put it on a rock(like in our 10gallon) midway of the tank...
It would put his feeder tentacles out every couple days so I fed it then with garlic enriched mysis and brine
As for a pic, I'm at work but color is still good and the edges are still somewhat puffy. The centre and around it's two mouths are sunk in(can see it's skeleton frame) and it's mouth is wide open...can see his guts and skeletal structure.
I use RO
We added other corals but nowhere near it so I'm not sure
Added 2 dottybacks this week but the brain was deteriorating before all thes additions
Carbon is a good brand and it's real carbon not the coconut stuff...
Algae growth is good sump and coraline...
Skimmer is fine and no film on the water...
All other things are fine...

Thanks and get on it geeze!!! JK !!!maybe it's just one of those things hey....

Germanman

My fish are my babies
hummm...im afraid that im am stumped....one of those things like the crash i almost had.....its prolly something you cant test for. all i can say is do an early larger water change and see how it does. i almost never feed my brain corals...just let them pic up what i feed to the fish...they have been fine for years. maybe the phosphates in the frozen food were absorbed directly and caused a problem withing the coral rather than something testable in the water. wish i had more here for you....its just one of those things im afraid..how is the flow and turn over?

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
you could always find a good LFS and ask them. I call one all the way in Raliegh NC (bout 2 hours away from me) to ask questions that I need instant help on (when nixon, jojo, gman or 5xevy are not online:D)

kandibrandy

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
Calgary, Alberta Canada
thought I would add a couple pics.....

IMG_0301.JPG IMG_0299.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store