Query On Freshwater Crabs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheRaven75

Registered Member
May 13, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Hi all. Just a quick question, i recently purchased a brown back freshwater crab here recently in Australia and was wondering what these guys are supposed to eat, The crab seems to wander around the tank just picking up bits and pieces of food left by the other fish in the tank. Should i supplement his diet at all with anything else.

Thanks in advance

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Most crabs are scavengers. I would make sure enough food is getting missed by the tank mates that the crab can be busy for 5-10 minutes after you feed.

Not familiar with this particular crab, but many crabs have a bad reputation of killing sleeping fish, or grabbing long fins, so you may want to monitor the tank closely for a while.

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
One of my Red Crabs recently shed its skin, and before I could get a chance to remove the old shell and all, the crabs were making a meal of it. I generally feed mine catfish pellets, they need calcium in their diet for their shells (I believe this can be found by eating the old shells), and I have heard they like banana..

elgecko

AC Members
Apr 10, 2003
PA
www.geocities.com
Last edited:

Callidus

AC Members
May 11, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by thom336
One of my Red Crabs recently shed its skin, and before I could get a chance to remove the old shell and all, the crabs were making a meal of it.
I was looking into getting some Fiddler Crabs or Red Crabs and read that you should leave the skin in the tank for at least 24 hours,...... Because the crabs are supposed to eat their shells as they are the best source of calcium for the regrowth of thier soft 'under shell'.

If it has'nt been eaten in around a day then remove it but not before.

Please post another pic or so, I love these creatures.

Last edited:

elgecko

AC Members
Apr 10, 2003
PA
www.geocities.com
thom336,
How long have you had your RCC in complete frshwater? I might have to edit my crab page if I find out that people are having good luck with them in fresh water. What little info I found on the web was that they were brackish. I've had mine since early Jan. and been doing great.

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
I'll post some pics of mine as soon as I get a new light on the tank...its really dark in there at the moment. I'll have one on by Saturday, and will post pics by Sunday.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store