"semi-aggressive" inverts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cathy

AC Members
May 2, 2003
Visit site
hi all am doing research for future additions (don't anticipate adding for another 1 1/2 months or so - just doing my homework ahead of time!)
we are interested in trying our hand at some of the easier-to-care for invertebrates, and I am in the process of compiling a list of possibilities. I am using several books as well as on-line resources.
In addition to looking for creatures that will be happy under moderate lighting and moderate amounts of current, I am considering their compatibility with other species.
Our dealing suggested the mushroom corals/anenomes as being a candidate to consider. But when I went online to ffexpress.com, they described these as being "semi-aggressive", that they should be placed away from other species.
Generally I found the info on this site to coincide with stuff I'd read elsewhere and I like their format for giving a brief rundown on each creatures needs, but the description of semi-aggressive raised a red flag.
Should a newbie steer clear of things described as semi-aggressive, or is this site overstating the case? (I did find some other choices, other than the mushrooms, described as peaceful)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Mushrooms can be a problem, in that they won't share a rock with other coral species well, but they are not aggressive to fish, or corals kept away from them. Very few corals should ever be placed in close contact with one another, since they all have defensive capabilities. Shrooms are very easy to care for, and will do well in medium light. Their sweepers are not as long as many other species--plate, frogspawn and torch corals can do more damage. We have several rocks of mushrooms, and have never had a problem with the mushrooms damaging another coral.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
I can't see them labeling an anemone as semi-aggressive. Anemones have the ability to sting fish, people, and pretty much anything else. It is a defense, though, so I'm not sure whay that might be called aggression. Perhaps if the anemone chased other inhabitants around the tank like some sort of Medusa-esque fish it could be called aggressive. I think they were just trying to make a point that it might not be compatible with some creatures (i.e. fish that don't recognize an anemone as dangerous)

There is another thread around the general marine board dealing with fish getting stung because they don't recognize the anemone as dangerous, and don't learn quickly enough to avoid it....I can't seem to find it at the moment though...

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Mushrooms are discoma anemones. They can be toxic if a coral is in contact with them, and they will kill corals or polyps that are in close proximity. All other anemones are considered aggressive because they can and will kill competitors(other corals)--anyone who has seen an anemone kill a coral that is in a prime location will agree, they are aggressive. Mushrooms don't roam to the same extent as other anemones, and are much hardier and easier to care for, but they are not welcome in all reef tanks because they can overpopulate and become a nuisance, in addition to threatening neighbors.

cathy

AC Members
May 2, 2003
Visit site
there are several varieties/species of mushroom anenomes. In your experience, are there any that are "tamer" than others, with regards to there compatibility in a reef tank - and propensity to reproduce?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Not any difference that I could notice, other than the hairy ones. They seem a bit fragile, and don't spread as much. I've never paid much attention to the blue/striped ones though. If you start with a small colony, you can monitor it for problems, but our mushrooms haven't exploded or damaged anything. They are kept to one side of the reef tank, and sensitive inverts go into the invert only tank, though, so other's might have a different experience with them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store