Hypothetical Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Do you think a tang could bite the entire pectoral fin off a dwarf angelfish?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Lol.

Well, here's the deal:

Coral Beaut kept chasing around my tang. Relentlessly. The poor guy would just hide and the CB would just look for it till it found it and chase it around.

So, I took apart my whole friggin tank to get that CB out of there. 2 buckets of LR, pails of coral everywhere.

I finally get him out, take him back to the LFS and the guy says, 'I'd feel most comfortable trading you. What about this lemon peel? He's a little smaller, a different color, and a different temperment. He'd probably be just fine.'

So, I put him in, reainstall all rocks and corals and then the tang comes out. I guess he's had enough of being picked on, so he just goes after the lemon peel.

Now, about 2 hours later, the lemon peel is swimming around on the other side of the tank, and is missing one of his fins (little nubbin, basically) and he's got a few bloody spots on him.

Now, it's possible he was missing that find when i got him...but not very likely.

I'm still a little upset with myself that I didn't just drop off the CB and come home with absolutely nothing, but...you know how these things go.

Kind of surprised, really...

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Hypothetically? Yes, but I think it would depend on the Tang and the circumstances of course. ;)

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Well that's the thing, German.

If I knew that, I wouldn't have any hypothetical questions to ask, now would I?

Lol.

Oh well, they seem to be getting along better now. Just weird. I wouldn't think a little 4 inch baby tang would have it in him.

But, I came back from a weekend trip and one of my cleaner shrimp has about 3/4 inch antennas now. Antenni?

Maybe that lil thompson tang is really no angel after all.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
I completely missed your post #4 when I read this earlier.

Just a theory and is probably wrong but this is hypothetical anyway, right? ;)

There is a mimic lemonpeel tang named this way because it mimics the lemonpeel angel you have. Perhaps, hehe, your Tang couldn't even tell the difference and since they have similar body shapes it just may think it's another Tang and is establishing its territory.

I'll look for a picture now.

Edit- hmmm, they don't look as similar as I thought but here's a pic anyway:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=352&N=0

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store