Is this normal behavior for Goldfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dmk

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Western NC
Hello

I just setup a new 55gal tank last week and added 4 small fish to it last night (2 Fancytail Goldfish, 1 Common Goldfish, and a yellow Koi). I have two long horizontal airstones on either end of the tank and a large Ehiem ECCO cannister filter which produces a strong stream of water horizontally along the top/back of the tank.

The fish seem to enjoy these strong currents of water. They will swim quite aggressively up the stream from the outlet of the filter, then ride the current back and start over again. The little Fancytails look quite amusing as they waggle like crazy while the torpedo shaped Common and Koi seem to do it quite effortlessly. They will also swim down the curtain of airbubbles from the airstones. Sometimes they will swim with just enough effort to stay motionless as the bubbles rush past them. Often all four will be in the bubbles at once.

Now, I'm new to Goldfish so to me it looks like they are playing and having a grand old time. It's fun to watch. But I don't know if maybe this could be some kind of abnormal behavior. I read somewhere that Fancytails are inefficient swimmers and can be stressed by schooling with Comets or Common Goldfish. But these two seem to do it even if the two streamlined fish are off doing something else.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?

Thanks,
Dave

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
totally normal, especially when they're settling in to a new place, i think.

your koi will want more than a 55 gallon in the long term though, again, i think

dmk

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Western NC
totally normal, especially when they're settling in to a new place, i think.

your koi will want more than a 55 gallon in the long term though, again, i think
That's cool. They are really amusing to watch. :)

I was just doing some research on Koi and was surprised to find that they can grow to 3 feet! I know nothing about them and thought they were just fancy, expensive Goldfish. I only bought him as an impulse buy because he was the same price as the Fancytails and is a beautiful yellow. Glad I only bought one. :eek:

Well, if he gets too big, I can put him in my Mom's outdoor pond. I don't know how many gallons it is, but it's pretty big. The funny thing is, she has two Koi in her aquarium and they've been 3 or 4 inches for almost a year. Maybe they'll all keep each other company in the pond one day.

Mar 29, 2007
That's cool. They are really amusing to watch. :)

I was just doing some research on Koi and was surprised to find that they can grow to 3 feet! I know nothing about them and thought they were just fancy, expensive Goldfish. I only bought him as an impulse buy because he was the same price as the Fancytails and is a beautiful yellow. Glad I only bought one. :eek:

Well, if he gets too big, I can put him in my Mom's outdoor pond. I don't know how many gallons it is, but it's pretty big. The funny thing is, she has two Koi in her aquarium and they've been 3 or 4 inches for almost a year. Maybe they'll all keep each other company in the pond one day.
those kois that are a few inches are probably stunted.

oh no, you didnt cycle, expect LARGE water changes almost 2 daily, maybe more with a bio-load that high with goldfish :O

dmk

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Western NC
Nevermind, a search just pulled up a few posts on what cycling is. Too bad I didn't find this forum until after I bought fish.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
What does that mean? They are genetically small or small because the tank's too small?
No koi is bred to be genetically small. Small tank space and poor water quality result to stunting of fish.:)

HTH

captainpiratebo

AC Members
Apr 22, 2007
UK
hey there tank sounds good. perfectally noramal behavior from your fish. koi espetially love stronger currents, although he'll soon outgrow a 55g, but should be more than happy in the pond later on. as for your mum's fish stunted basically means that their outsides have stopped growing due to the small size of the tank, but their insides continue to grow which can sometimes result in a premature death, but they can still live for years. i'd get those koi in the pond asap if you can. koi arnt really tank fish. anyway welcome to AC and good luck with your tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store