Angelfish chasing female angel around the tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hagermanfd

AC Members
Jan 19, 2007
I have a 55 gal. tank, i have two angelfish one male, one female. My male chases the female around the tank on occasion, going after it like it is going to nip it but never really gets close to biting it. female usually stays away but the male will see her across the tank and go after. Could they be playing or is he just looking for some action that she does not want to give. The angel is fine with all my other fish, corys, neons, mollys, and serpaes. What should i do?

Clankeye

Ignorance ain't bliss
Mar 6, 2007
Seattle
Angels are aggressive, and establish pecking orders. They are also very territorial. I have four in a tank. At one time or another each has been the chaser and the chasee. Unless you feel one is actually to the point of killing the other--let them work it out.

graver

AC Members
Apr 3, 2007
how would i know if the angels are male or female??? i kept my angels with my gold for some time... but they had no problem.... they used to chase goldfishes ... but they never really hurt them... :p

I'm not sure how to sex Angelfish either! Howver I have two ina tank and one was very agressive, chasing and corning the other and pecking at it...I put him in a net nursery tank for a week....my husband said I had given him an ASBO (Anti Social Behavior order) and for the first few days he pecked at the netting if any other fish came close - after a week he seemed to have accepted the fact that his pecking was to no avail and I relented and let him out - he ahs been fine every since! he does chase every now and again, but the aggressive pecking and chasing has stopped - might be worth a try?

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
oye my angel is also chasing the other angel around, and pecking and nipping. as soon as I get another tank going one is going in there!

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
in the past, i had 3 or 4 angels, and I always remember them being very peaceful fish.... i cant recall ANY time I had seen any of them get aggresive with the other angels, or fish period.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Generally I find them to be peaceful, but if a pair decide to hook up and mate, they can be as aggressive as most other cichlids. I usually introduce groups to a new tank, all at once, never two now and add one 6 months later. I like to see them in larger tanks, 5-7 at a time, cruising around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store