Leaking tank - time for an upgrade?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fazzafaris

AC Members
Aug 12, 2003
Reigate, Surrey, England
Hi all.

I have just noticed water collecting in a very thin line between the plastic frame and the glass of my Juwel Rekord 96. Haven't a clue why this has happened but I may use the excuse to upgrade my tank to a slightly bigger one. I am considering the Juwel Rio 125 as the cabinet I have actually matches that anyway. Assuming I go for this option, I have some questions.

I obviously have 96 litres of water in the old aquarium, so presumably I could just transfer that to the new tank and add some fresh water? I can also transfer the filter media as I believe they are the same size -can anyone confirm this? Do I need to transfer the gravel as is, or can I give it a good rinse through to clean it? Finally, any recommendations on the best (cheapest) place to buy these aquariums?

TIA.

John.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Yes you can transfer all the stuff to the new tank, you could try and google info on that type of aquar...:hi:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The water isn't really needed. Transferring the filter media and as much of the decor as possible will minimize any cycle that occurs. I would do a deep gravel vac and get the gravel as clean as possible, if you plan on using it.

Are you going to repair the old tank?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
how level is the floor that the tank is situated on? tanks that overhang the stand need a very flat surface when installed and filled and a stress fracture could be the cuase of your leak. This wil also apply if you install a Jewel 125 on the stand for the 90..Personally, i would not do it, i would but a new tank AND stand..But, that is just my opinion of course.

Niko

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Just took a look at the tanks you are talking about. Definitely not a fan of supporting a tank like that with the canterlever overhang. Your leak could easily be caused by an uneven floor. If you still plan on upgrading, I'd opt for a full cabinet stand so the base of the tank has 100 % support.

Fazzafaris

AC Members
Aug 12, 2003
Reigate, Surrey, England
I installed the tank over two years ago and I tested it was flat using a spirit level as I had issues with a tank leaking a few years ago. The idea of repairing it hadn't occurred to me before. I kind of assumed that it was done for. Last time I replaced a leaking tank I couldn't determine why it was leaking or even where it was leaking from. How could I determine this and look to repair it?

atnixon - I have the 96 on a stand for a 125 at the moment, not the other way around. So if I buy a 125 it won't be bigger than the cabinet.

I went out for looksie just now and found myself gazing longingly at a 180 tank! Lots of money but lots of fun too. The trouble with this whole business is it has happened too early. I am planning to relocate the tank to make up part of a room divider so that you can see it from both rooms. We have this cool design all worked out with the tank in the middle and shelves and stuff above/below. This is why I am reluctant to buy a new cabinet, as I am planning to have a new one built anyway. I just need to find a company that builds bespoke stuff like this, which so far I haven't managed to do.

rbishop - thanks for the thoughts on the overhang. I agree that a 100% base would be better, this is what my new design will incorporate

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
I would do a complete reseal. If it's leaking in one place, what's to say it won't start somewhere else down the road?

Q

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store