How much substrate / substrate heaters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thewarning

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
I have a 55 g freshwater tank and plan to have live plants. I was thinking of using EcoComplete substrate for the base and then top it off with gravel. How deep should the substrate and the gravel be?

Also I've been reading the importance of substrate heaters. There kind of expensive so I was wondering what eveybody's thoughts were. Thanks

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
i don't understand why substrate heaters are so 'essential'. i've never used NOR seen a tank that used them with any better results than a tank without.

GirlieGirl8521

Planted Tank Collector
Dec 21, 2006
Alabama
I'd skip the substrate heaters. Its possible to have a successful planted tank without them. ;)

I'd go full Eco Complete for the substrate....if you top it with gravel the 2 will eventually mix, so its wise just to use the substrate 100%. Its meant to be used completely and not to be mixed with anything. I'd shoot for 2.5-3" of substrate. In my 55g I used 5 bags of Eco and it gave me about 2" in the front, sloped to about 3" or maybe a tad over that in the back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store