Dwarf Compatibility

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Riven02

AC Members
Mar 18, 2007
I have a 45 Gal community tank. I have a bit of room available and after getting my first GBR I am smitten with Dwarf Cichlids.

So after doing some research I would like to add some Apistos.

I have divided the tank up the have 3 fairly large territories divided by tall plants (Each territory has the floor space a tad smaller than a typical 10gal tank). (The whole tank is heavily planted) Each territory has 2 caves.

The other fish in the tank include an angle fish, 2 gouramies, 4 ottos, and a killifish.

So now on to fish choice;

I was thinking GBR, Cacatuoides, and Viejita. Maybe trading the Viejita for an Agassizii.

I originally thought I should buy them in pairs, (Male and Female) but after talking with a local breeder I was told getting a female wouldn’t be necessary.

What do you guys think here? Should I get a pair of each of the three species or would males get along fine?

If I didn’t get females it would leave me extra room does this mean I could get more than 3 males? Or would this still be limited to the territories I have?

If I did get pairs would they be able to breed in a community tank? I figure the fry will get eaten, but will the fish even try to breed?

If I got Pairs are they likely to pair off? Swim together?

xaosGK

AC Members
Mar 30, 2007
I'd probably only go with two species (actually, I *am* only going with two species in my 90g tank).

I'd get pairs, as they may spawn, allowing you to see some really interesting behavior and coloration. You may or may not get fry in a community tank, it all really depends on how safe the pair(s) feel. If they feel like it's going to take an undue amount of energy to defend their fry, or they get stressed by the close presence of other (larger) tankmates, they'll likely eat any eggs. If they feel safe, then you could get some fry out, assuming the fry don't get eaten.

If you choose to get only males, you're still stuck with the same territories, and as such, fewer fish. Between that and the entertainment that is cichlid breeding behavior, it doesn't seem like much fun to just get males :p However, if you just want shiny display fish to look at, then males are the way to go.

Riven02

AC Members
Mar 18, 2007
so only 2 pairs then....

It is going to be hard to choose =)

If I had 3 pairs would the problem be they would fight to much?

Last edited:

xaosGK

AC Members
Mar 30, 2007
Yeah, there *could* be territorial disputes. I had a pair of cacs and rams in a 29 (30" long) once upon a time, and the cacs took most of the tank for themselves. Once the rams learned to stay out of the way, it was ok, but I tend to be a bit more paranoid nowadays.

Besides, with only two pairs of dwarfs, you can grab a school of tetras/rasboras/barbs to run around in the middle of the tank and make it interesting to watch ;)

PS - I like the idea of agassizii/viejita, I always thought rams were boring, and everyone has cacatuoides ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store