I Think my betta is crazy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Ok I have had Merlin my betta for approx 3 weeks in a 2.5g minibow aquarium with a whisper filter on the lowest setting. Lately everytime I approach the aquarium Merlin has been hiding behind the filter or underneath it or in his plant. He comes out for his bloodworms and that is it. He doesn't swim around like my other betta. My other betta is in a 3g eclipse tank he is friendlier comes up to the glass to greet me. Merlin seems afraid of me. I was thinking about moving him into my 5g once my platies transfer to my 36g. I have the same type of filter on the 5g a whisper. I am not sure what is wrong with Merlin he looks healthy he is eating his bloodworms. His tank is still cycling maybe the nitrite is bothering him the level is 0.25 and I am doing regular water changes. Who knows is just upsetting me because my other betta never acted like this. Anyone have a clue what could be going on am worried?:huh:

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Ok I have had Merlin my betta for approx 3 weeks in a 2.5g minibow aquarium with a whisper filter on the lowest setting. Lately everytime I approach the aquarium Merlin has been hiding behind the filter or underneath it or in his plant. He comes out for his bloodworms and that is it. He doesn't swim around like my other betta. My other betta is in a 3g eclipse tank he is friendlier comes up to the glass to greet me. Merlin seems afraid of me. I was thinking about moving him into my 5g once my platies transfer to my 36g. I have the same type of filter on the 5g a whisper. I am not sure what is wrong with Merlin he looks healthy he is eating his bloodworms. His tank is still cycling maybe the nitrite is bothering him the level is 0.25 and I am doing regular water changes. Who knows is just upsetting me because my other betta never acted like this. Anyone have a clue what could be going on am worried?:huh:
so you're cycling the tank with him in it? i'd guess that's what's wrong.... i'd move him to a cycled tank until your 2.5G cycles.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
yeah I guess I will do just that I will move the platies to the 36g then move Merlin to the 5g and will get some danios or white clouds to finish out the cycle for the 2.5g. I was going to wait to move him I thought my female platy was pregnant but I may be wrong late March I noticed she looked plump and thought I saw fry eyes through her belly but have not seen one fry yet so I will gently move her and the male platy to the 36g. Thanks for your help.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
If you have any traces of nitrite which you say you do or ammonia, you will have to wait until the levels are at 0 before you can add other fish to the 2.5 gal bow after you move the betta. If it is in the middle of a cycle from the betta being in the tank and then drop fish in the water in the middle of the cycke those fish will die. I would consider finishing up the cycling of this tank doing a fishless cycle. This way you will not have to wait and then recycle with other fish. You can just continue the cycle as is as if there were fish in there. When it is done cycling, then you can add whatever fish you want in there that can live in that size aquarium.

Marinemom

Daudzegier

Tropical Aquascaper
Dec 31, 2006
Knoxville, TN
take some gravel and put it in a clean sock from your cycled tank, and drop it in you cycling tank. This will speed up the whole cycle process buy introducing extra biological filtration the the tank.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Ok well I appreciate all the advise I did move the platies to the 36g and moved the betta to the 5g. LOL he is still hiding under the silk plant I have in there well atleast he isn't hiding behind the filter my 5g is completely cycled so water conditions aren't an issue. I decided to get white clouds to finish off the cycle of the 2.5g I have no idea how to do a fishless cycle. I used white clouds to cycle my 36g and they survived the cycle with no problem and have had no problems they are extremely hardy fish. I will add aquarium salt to the 2.5g to ward off any potential problems and do water changes until the nitrite goes down. Will see what happens thanks again will let you know what happens. Once that tank cycles I will move those white clouds to my 36g and then keep that 2.5g tank as a quarantine tank or a tank for fry if my platy ever decides to give birth if she truly is pregnant. I did tranfer some gravel from one of my established tanks to the 2.5g as well about a week ago.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store