How many kilos do you guys reccomed for 55g reef tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

0m3n

AC Members
May 16, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Just curious as to how much live rock you guys would ad to a 55 gallon reef tank, also im battling nitrates at the moment i get a reading of around 15ppm. Has anyone used seachem de nitrate with any success?

tottenchris

Mud is fun!
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, Mi
37.42 Kilos for the 55 gallon tank. The internet is a wonderfull source of information.:read:

Last edited:

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
i see that the ammount of live rock has already been mentioned so i dont see the point in repeating the same info, Tottenchris has pinned that one for you..

The best methods of reducing nitrates is with a good strict routine of water changes, skimming and not over feeding the system...It will help you no end in filtration when you bump up the ammount of live rock in the tank....

Niko

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Do you have a refugium? You can grow some macroalgae in it to help with the nitrates. If you don't have one you can grow some in your main tank but it may get eaten depending on your inhabitants.

Is this a FOWLR? If so, a nitrate reading of 15 isn't really off the charts.

Lastly, do you have any sponges or bio-balls?

0m3n

AC Members
May 16, 2006
Sydney, Australia
the filter media consists of filter wool which i replace every 3 days ceramic noodles, seachem matrix and yes some bioballs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store