Lighting Conversion - advice on cover requested

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ian

Registered Member
May 14, 2003
Visit site
I have purchased an Arcadia 250W halide + 2x18W flourescent suspended light for my marine tank. It presently has a hood with flourescents and I plan to throw all that away.

The new light will be ceiling suspended and around 30cms from the water surface.

Question: I have external filter, protein filter and of course power and air connections so whats the best way of covering the tank? Do I get a one piece or two pieces of glass cut by a glazier and just sit them on top or should I try to make a frame.

I realise that leaving the tank completely open will result in a great amount of evaporation.

Ian

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If you can make a frame, I think you will be happier. The glass, while reducing evaporation, will collect dust and salt creep, requiring lots of cleaning, and can be a pain to remove each time to feed. I have a glass cover on one FW system, and then 2 open FW and 3 open SW tanks. Once you get used to adding the fresh topoffs, it's not a big deal--maybe 1 gallon a week on the 20, then about 5-7 gallons on the 180. Of course, your local humidity will impact that--around here, we're shocked if the humidity is above 50%.

Ian

Registered Member
May 14, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by OrionGirl
If you can make a frame, I think you will be happier. The glass, while reducing evaporation, will collect dust and salt creep, requiring lots of cleaning, and can be a pain to remove each time to feed. I have a glass cover on one FW system, and then 2 open FW and 3 open SW tanks. Once you get used to adding the fresh topoffs, it's not a big deal--maybe 1 gallon a week on the 20, then about 5-7 gallons on the 180. Of course, your local humidity will impact that--around here, we're shocked if the humidity is above 50%.
I don't think all that evaporation will be good for my piano!

Ian

Jexai

Hermit
Apr 13, 2003
UK
marine.jexai.co.uk
I hate doing things the conventional way, so when I first had my new tank I opted for 3 pieces of glass cut by the local glassier, he smoothed the edges for me so no cuts.

I then put a blob of silicoln on each underside corner and let it dry so they sat on the side glass strips nicely, and silicolned a wooden block onto the top to use as a handle (nice and easy to lift them up to feed).

It all worked really well till the day I decided no glass was a much better idea. :p I have been running the tank now for approx 2 years with no coverglass.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Check your local humidity--if you are near either coast, it probably averages higher than mine does, which means you will have less evaporation.

People with indoor ponds, or lots of evaporation and high humidity usually use de-humidifiers to prevent the water from affecting the room/walls/objects.

I wouldn't suggect having a piano very close to the tank anyway--if it breaks, that a way bigger problem than just humidity. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store