How fast does it grow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brads

AC Members
Jan 29, 2007
Spokane, WA
How fast does Java Moss grow? Can I help it along?

VTwinFanatic

Endlers
Mar 17, 2005
North Carolina
Its a slow grower in comparison...but it can be helped along w/ more light and CO2, but if all you have is java moss, dont do either due to its inability to out compete algae.

geofied

Plant formerly known as Duckweed
Jan 22, 2007
Cleveland area, OH
It has been hard for me to guage just how fast it grows. But I started with a sandwich baggie-sized portion back in January, and now I have masses of it in 5 tanks, plus one mini grow-out tank, and my half-barrel pond. It seems to grow most slowly when just left floaiting in a clump, reportedly due to only the outside portions getting the most light. When I thin it out, I start seeing little verdant-green growth spreading out, attaching to driftwood. Don't be afraid to attach little bits to stuff, as it will eventually start filling in, given enough light (CO2 certainly helps too).

One annoyance with Java Moss, especially in a clump, is that it is like a magnet for debris. Happily, my new Cherry Shrimp have been great for cleaning it up.

Last edited:

root81

AC Members
Feb 23, 2007
Eastern Townships, Quebec
Java Moss is definatly not a fast growing plant, but I got a patch, about the size of a hockey puck about 2 months ago, and would say it's trippled in size. I'm using about 3W/gal of light, and adding CO2 though. After a fresh batch of sugar water and yeast are added to the CO2 generator, I can almos watch it grow! At this rate, I should have some to sell in another 3-4 months.

xaosGK

AC Members
Mar 30, 2007
Just be patient. It seems to take a while to get used to a tank, lighting conditions, etc. As geofied said, thinning it out (or spreading it around more, depending how you look at it) seems to help it grow faster. Soon enough, you'll be begging people to take the stuff off your hands :)

geofied

Plant formerly known as Duckweed
Jan 22, 2007
Cleveland area, OH
Just be patient. It seems to take a while to get used to a tank, lighting conditions, etc. As geofied said, thinning it out (or spreading it around more, depending how you look at it) seems to help it grow faster. Soon enough, you'll be begging people to take the stuff off your hands :)
QFT! (quoted for truth) Speaking of...anyone in Northeast Ohio need some Java Moss? Seriously.

daayda3

AC Members
Sep 21, 2006
I started with about 1/4 of a cup(about a month ago), and now my 10g is FULL of it, and I have a little in my 20g

Last edited:

lazyNode

AC Members
Oct 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I find it grows faster when you trim it. Judging from the light green new growth on the ends I think mine grows about 2 to 3 mm a day.

PPMN

Who could resist this face??
Mine always dies. I have a 12 gal tank with 3 wpg of lighting and a Co2 system. I fertilise with an iron supplement. Everyone (amazon swords, lily, banana plant, etc) are very happy, but my java moss turned brown and died. I'm only left with a very small clump that is about 65% green. What could be going wrong?

Last edited:

xaosGK

AC Members
Mar 30, 2007
I honestly don't have a clue, PPMN. IME, it's darn near impossible to kill java moss. As an example, I purchased my bunch of java moss some five years ago, dropped it into a tank, let it grow for a while, then moved and left the tank it was in (a 90g) set up for my little brother, who failed to do anything whatsoever with it...he didn't even drain the tank, just let it evaporate over the course of almost three years (I gave the fish to friends before moving). A couple months ago, I went and picked up the tank, which still had water in the gravel (and it was only slightly moist), and sure enough, a golf-ball sized portion of moss was still living in it.

That very same moss has overtaken a 10g tank since I revived it. If you ask me, the stuff is just one step above algae, I can't stand it, and I can't kill it either :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store