Building a plywood tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I guess I never started a build thread about the tank here, so I'll copy my other one. Let me know what you think.

This will eventually be the home to my alligator snapping turtle. I've been keeping her in a plastic kiddie pool for about a year and a half, and I'm starting to question how much longer it is going to hold up. That, and it looks pretty crappy. So, I'm building her a new place. It will hold about 220gal or so after its finished. It has a 4'x5' footprint, with 18" high walls. One 5' wall will have a glass window, the rest will just be plywood. I'm using 3/4" BC plywood for the main box, using the sanded side in. The top and bottom have 2x4 bracing all the way around. I might end up putting a few cross braces in, but it seems like its going to be pretty darn sturdy as is.

I built a false wall about 8" out from the back wall, which will hide all the filtration. On the left end of the false wall you can see the overflow part. Right below this will be a plastic container to hold some sponges for easy mech filtration. Then, the water will flow over a baffle and onto a drip tray, where it will drain onto biomedia of some sort, then get pumped through the hole in the false wall into a spray bar setup of some sort. I have a bulkhead fitting that goes in the hole. I designed it around the filtration in a Seaclear System II setup, from pictures.

All seams are being covered with fiberglass mat strips, as well as a strip around the top to cover any screw heads. The rest will be covered in an epoxy resin. I am using a resin made by MAS Epoxies. They were very helpful with all of my questions, and their product has been used for plywood fish/turtle tanks before by several universities. I bought the slow-cure hardener, which gives the resin a pot life of about 27min before it starts getting too gloopy to brush on.

As it stands, I'm done with all the fiberglassing, as soon as its dry I'll start the first coat over the floor and walls.

Outside the box. The board with the green paint all over it was a test. The epoxy can be tinted using plain old acrylic paint. I wanted to test it out to make sure I had some idea of how much to add. I added way too much for the test, so its taking a long time to dry.

Where the window will go

Behind the false wall - the two cross pieces will hold the tray for the mech filtration.

Overflow. These pix were taken before I did the last of the fiberglassing, around the top.

Epoxy and hardener. I bought a half gallon of resin and a quart of hardener. It's designed to mix at a 2:1 ratio....super easy to eyeball in the container, no need to accurately measure and make a mess like I usually do.

Thanks for looking, will post more as progress is made.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Updated pictures: took me a while but I'm almost done. Got the inside done and tinted, the filter is almost complete, and the glass is in. Once the silicone is cured, I can test fill it.

Whole tank, before spray bars are in:

Another angle:

From the back of the glass:

From the end of the filter/false back. Water overflows, will go through a mech filter pad, over the plexi wall and into a drip tray. Everything between the plexi and the eggcrate will be filled with lava rock. Pump will go at the end on the other side of the eggcrate. Design is based on the Seaclear aquariums.

Tray for filter pad, and drip trays in back

Bulkhead fitting for return:

Outside is painted in a water-based Kilz. I didn't want it sealed, just covered enough to protect it from splashes etc.

Spraybars installed:

Barb fitting on bulkhead:

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
And this is the cutie that will be moving in once its done. She's got a little growing left to do...:rolleyes:

Mofolepo

The Flaming Blizzard Mafia
Jan 12, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
www.myspace.com
Awesome! Is that a regular snapping or an alligator?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Alligator snapper. Its a female, so she should only get about 60-75 lbs full grown.

H2OPawesome

Water Opossum
Apr 24, 2007
Louisiana
Wow. Those things scare the mess out of me! They don't let go till thunder. And they're all over our backyard. When I was little, I decided to catch one and keep it as a pet (in a cooler, of course, with a stick and a leaf to simulate his natural environment....) and he bit the mess out of my foot! I had on thick boots though, so i was ok, but he wouldn't let go! That's scary for anyone, especially an 8 year old.

The tank looks nifty, though!

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
MN..state bird:: mosquito
I like turtles..can't wait for the final outcome...good job by the way...:clap:

will74

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
Kentucky
turtle

Might want to check if it legal to keep that turtle. They are on the endangered species list i think, anyway nice turtle and cool project. hope everything turns out ok.

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
nice DIY tank, beautiful alligator snapping turtle you have

i want to keep a red eared slider but i don't have the money or room for a 100G tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store