my tang has dark spots plus ich :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Whopper Stopper

AC Members
Apr 30, 2007
San Diego
my tang has been fighting ich for a while now. Ive been treating with a reef safe medication but that was a waste of 22 bucks. now he has small dark blue spots on him and some white spots. This is worrying me that this is something other than ich. I dont have a quarantine tank yet but am relizing how important the are to have. I was going to give him a fresh water dip but I can't catch him. Any tips?

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Hi there. Do you have pictures of the fish that you could post? What kind of Tang? How large is the tank? How long have you had each?

Does it look like any of the pictures in this link?
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127010

I'd recommend a quarantine asap. Can you give us as much information as possible so we can better help you (tank size, inhabitants- fish/inverts/corals, live rock, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/pH/specific gravity/temp, how long you've had the fish and tank)?

Even if you don't know all the answers it'll help us help you figure out how to treat this.

:)

Whopper Stopper

AC Members
Apr 30, 2007
San Diego
Its a blue hippo tang and my tank is 25 gallons ( new to hobby, relize the tank is way too small now) I know he has some ich but it also looks like hyper-melininization from the link you provided. I just switched from very weak lights to halides yesterday and this symptom surfaced yesterday evening roughly 5 hours after the halides were on. coincidence or can new more powerful lighting effect a fish like that

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Well the new lights could've stressed him out a little bit or possibly raised the temperature.

What else do you have in your tank? What is the temperature?

Whopper Stopper

AC Members
Apr 30, 2007
San Diego
Well the new lights could've stressed him out a little bit or possibly raised the temperature.

What else do you have in your tank? What is the temperature?
I got a tomato clown with no problems, a condy anenome,a frogspawn, brain coral, star polyps,a maxima clam, 15 or so hermits, a fire shrimp, and the coral in my avatar ( i forgot what its called). temp is 78

Whopper Stopper

AC Members
Apr 30, 2007
San Diego
lol sry just had to quote my old boss "tangs get ich if u look at them wrong"
i agree with 5xevy. also can we get ur full water parameters too?
yea they are:

ph 8.2
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20
alk 4 meq/l

** unfortunetely now his eyes are getting cloudy so I guess that means hes going to die soon. what do you think?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store