Got some LR from LFS and need some input on if it's cured or not?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Batmanjay28

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Oregon
I got some LR from the LFS today that was shipped in from a dealer yesterday. I had been sitting in the LFS for 1 day. It has a little smell to it but not that bad, the only way t hat I can smell it is if I get my nose right up to it.....It was a little damp but not in the water....what should I do? Do you think I need to cure it. I know the owner of the LFS I go to pretty well and he told me that it should be fine going right into my tank....he also asked if I had snails for some reason....I'm new to the wholw SW thing so if someone could help that would be great. If someone could tell me how to tell if LR is cured or not that would be awesome...thanks

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Hey there. Do you have any fish or inverts yet? If not you can add the rock immediately. Usually uncured rock has an odor, which you said it has a little bit. I may have misunderstood your post- you said it was damp but NOT in the water? So does that mean it's been out of the water at the LFS for a day?

The surefire way to know for sure if it's cured is if the ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0 from the water you put it into (though the tests should not be taken right away). Has your tank cycled yet? How old is it?

Batmanjay28

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Oregon
Yes the LR was out of the tank water for a day.

I have one tomato clownfish and 5 hermit crabs, 20lbs of LR already in there, and 50lbs of live sand. The tank has been running for 3 weeks. 55G

Batmanjay28

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Oregon
I figured that I need to cure it again....I have the 7 pounds of LR that I got today in a 10G with a powerhead and a heater. I just need to know when I can add the live rock to my display tank? And is there anything that I've done wrong with the curing process that I'm doing?

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
If you want the critters in it, stick it in a glass tank and sneak up at night with a red flashlight :) just thought you might wanna know...

dont sound cured to me...

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
you could also just add all the new LR and dump it into a QT tank and wait till it cures adding more LR from the main tank and sticking it in the QT tank. That way you are insured that there wont be any disruption to your main tanks water paramaters. Just a thought.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
I figured that I need to cure it again....I have the 7 pounds of LR that I got today in a 10G with a powerhead and a heater. I just need to know when I can add the live rock to my display tank? And is there anything that I've done wrong with the curing process that I'm doing?

That's the perfect way to cure it. I skip the heater, but it's recommended.

Just leave it in there for like 3 days and then check the water. If there's lots of ammonia, it's not cured, and you need to do a water change and leave it in for another 3 days and check again. Do that until your water specs come out good, then throw it in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store