156W T-5 vs. 192W CF

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the3kgt2

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
Hey guys. I have a quick question that I kinda need answered quickly. My light fixture just blew and I need to order a replacement ASAP overnight.

My question:

What would be better:
36" Nova Extreme T-5 156 watt for $189
or
36" Satellite Compact Fluorescent 192 watt for $165

I had the compact fluorescent fixture...which just fried. Does the T-5 156 watt have more lumens than the 192 watt compact fluorescent?

Thanks in advance!

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
156w T5 HO will put out more light than 192w PC, as T5 HO is a more efficient lighting technology than PC when it comes to converting electricity into light.

The Nova Extreme T5 fixtures are so-so, depending on your point of view regarding exactly how much individual reflectors increase the light going into the tank versus a single reflector (Nova Extreme fixtures use a single reflector). I haven't seen any definite concrete numbers, but individual reflectors are said to double or even triple the amount of light getting to the tank versus a single reflector.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
I've heard that too about the individual reflectors. If cost of upkeep is an issue for you, you may be happier with the T5's. The bulbs last longer and are actually cheaper to replace than PCs. If you can find a place to order a Tek Light from, they have individual reflectors.

drobes

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
Colorado
Go T5 but I'd go with individual reflectors. They make a huge difference with T5 lighting, I've seen posts on PAR readings that almost double when using individual reflectors over a single reflector like the nova.

Tek is probably the cheapest individual reflector fully assembled fixture and makes a pretty good product.
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...-Output_Fixture_with_Bulbs_by_Sunlight_Supply

If you have a canopy and can go retrofit, there are plenty of cheaper options. If you're looking for a top of the line fixture that will get even more output than the Tek's, go aquatinics.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Sunlight Supply's retrofit kits are nice too, if you happen to have a canopy. I've seen a lot of the Sunlight Supply products up close while working for the LFS. Actually, our entire FW wall used their retrofit kits and they all worked great, and a lot of the customers really seemed to like the Tek Light. If you go that route, you will either need to buy the hanging mounts, or the leg mounts.

the3kgt2

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

I'm on a tight budget, so $200 is the limit unfortunately.

I can either get this for $100 shipped or I can get the Nova Extreme for $200 shipped.

I do have a canopy but I don't think I would want a retrofit kit.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
I'd go with the Nova then. The other fixture seems too good to be true for $100 shipped.... IME you get what you pay for, you know?

I hear ya on the retrofit kit, but I've seen many of them, and it's really easy to set up if that's what you are concerned about. It also comes with everything but the bulbs. http://www.hellolights.com/t5horeki.html
Then you get the individual reflectors.

the3kgt2

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
How would the retrofit connect to my canopy? My canopy is pretty flimsy and it's just plastic.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
You're right. I doubt if that would work, although someone here might disagree with me on that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store