New Africans Rubbing on the Rocks is my Ph too high?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dcallen

The Spurs: World Champs again!
May 6, 2003
Texas
Visit site
I just added a few new juvenile Africans and have noticed one in particular a juvenile Red Empress that is not swimming very much and is rubbing against the rocks periodically. Is this Ick or is my Ph too high? I haven't observed any white spots on the fish. My Ph is running at about 8. 3 to 8.4 which seems a bit high to me and if so what is the best way to lower it to say 8.0? Would a water change be in order? The tank has been setup for almost 3 weeks. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Thanks..

Last edited:

optix

Rent-a-mod
Dec 30, 2002
Dayton area of ohio
Visit site
If it is indeed ich, get something with malachite green as the active ingredient like maracyn and up the temp to about 85 degrees and do this for about 3 day's. that way all of the tomites (spelling) are killed during there free swimming stage. If its velvet which is much like ich visually get some maracide. you should get a quarintine tank to if you have any other fish in the tank who might be sensitive to salt because these medicines pack a large amount of sodium chloride

Last edited:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I'd stay with the ich meds for longer, even at the higher temperature...just to make sure that all the free-swimmers are killed.

dcallen

The Spurs: World Champs again!
May 6, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Guys,

Thanks for the advice on this. I woke up this morning and checked on the fish, they are all eating well and I have not observed any spots on the fish. I really don't want to add meds to the tank if I don't have to, and I'm not crazy about adding copper to the tank either. I have raised the temperature in the tank as a precaution, I take it the fish will not be affected too much by the increase in temperature? What do you think about UV sterilizers are they a waste of money? I believe a Quarantine tank might be better than the UV. Thanks for the help.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I think a q-tank would be your best bet, but if they aren't doing anything special, I wouldn't move any or medicate any...just have the q-tank handy in case things do change.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Are you sure he's not just defining a territory? My african cichlids make little, repeated swipes at rocks all the time, especially when the tank is newly decorated. It kind of looks like rubbing. Sometimes, but not always, this is accompanied by flaring (extending the fins and shaking back and forth). If your fish has an external infection (e.g., ick) you should be able to see something.

Your pH should be fine for those fish. I would hesitate on medicating until you more evidence that the fish are ill. UV sterilizers, while cool and high up in the 'neat gadget list' are not that useful for fighting illness. Most illnesses with which we're concerned aren't sufficiently free-floating to make UV worthwhile.

If you want another source for help in diagnosing illness (even though I'm not convinced your fish is sick), try www.fishyfarmacy.com.

Good luck,
Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store